Adding muriatric acid

Hi Nate,
the best way is to slowly pour the acid in front of a return with teh pump running. If you have several returns, then spread the love!
After 30 minutes iwth pump running, test again to make sure you hit your target.

This goes for any liquid chemical you might add.

I have found the best way to add MA is to make it a 2 person operation. One person pours slowly into the water flow of the return while the other person brushes it around so as to mix it quickly in to the water. By itself, MA is pretty caustic. Once well mixed/diluted in water it isn't as scary.

Tricks? Sure.
1) Don't wear good clothes
2) Stand upwind
3) Don't set the bottle down on concrete unless you've rinsed it by dipping it in the pool first. Sometimes small dribbles collect and they will leave a nice white ring where the jug was.
4) Lean out as far as you can over the water in front of a return, pour the acid into the measure, then pour the acid slowly into the return stream. Rinse the measure in pool water. I find swishing water around and then pouring it right into the acid cloud helps disperse it. A couple quick rinses and you're done. Takes longer to type it than to do it.

And last but not least is to lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool in the area where you added the acid. Technically if you were really careful and slowly added it to a return flow, it probably get well dispersed, but if you missed the flow or added too quickly then some acid could drop below and since it is heavier than water until mixed, it could pool at the bottom. Brushing ensures that there is no pooling and also helps circulate water near pool surfaces (including walls) where technically water flow rates go to zero.

Everyone has their way of doing it..... I like to get in front of a return on my hands & knees and splash a little water on the pool deck. Then open the acid bottle and partially submerge it in the water. Tilt the bottle to pour the acid in at close to water level, but don't let the bottle get submerged.

I don't measure because it's an additional step for me to spill the stuff. Remove the bottle from the water and set it down in the puddle on the pool deck while you replace the cap. Try not to breathe the fumes.. Guess a little low on amount you need, then test again after it circulates well. You can always add more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even diluting Muriatic Acid in a 5 gallon bucket and distributing around the pool, I would still brush the pool where you've added it. Adding even just one cup of Muriatic Acid into 5 gallons of pool water still has the pH of that water be less than 1.0 (because full-strength Muriatic Acid has a pH of -1.0 and you dilute by less than 1/100th).

I have 3 returns so I just poured a little in at each one. I then brushed the pool good. I did get a good whiff of the fumes on the first return...won't make that mistake again! Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i pour it into a measuring cup, then just spread it around near my stairs. it helps keep the metal stains off the stairs. i'm lucky, the fumes don't bother me. not the suggested method, but it works for me.

I'd go careful with that. I have a small spot on the floor of my fiberglass pool right where I pour the MA in (before I learned to brush it immediately and to be so very very cautious of it) that I attribute to MA. I also had a small incomplete hole in my cement deck appear after a couple drops landed on it.

Attachments

• P7050010.jpg
    P7050010.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 45
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.