Using Old Swimming Pool water to flush toilets

Nov 29, 2013
Richmond VA
This is another one of my threads to address the droughts in the Western States. This idea is that it might be possible to set up a feeder line from a swimming pool's filter pump and have it supply water to a toilet to reuse the water. The fresh water that would normally go to the toilet would go to the swimming pool first and then the toilet. The idea behind this is that the pool would get some water replaced every time the toilet flushes vs having to empty out the pool to change the water in it and let the toilet waste new drinking water.

You would have to have a very good back flow preventer. If pool water went into drinking water you would have problems. Also do you have a septic? If you do are the pool chemicals going to mess that up? I made a setup that used gray water from the shower to fill a tank that pumped into the toilet. It worked good but the wife did not like it so I did away with it. Good luck

I'm currently working on a idea that would use old fish tank water from a 500 gallon goldfish tank and send it though a system of gravel filters to have it enter a toilet. The toilet would be sealed off from the house water system by getting all of it's water from the fish tank. But the idea would be set up were if it doesn't work I could hook it back up to the house's water system.

The idea is that the fish tank water stays cleaner the more it's replaced and a toilet uses 40 to 60 gallons of water a day.

Just setting a bucket in the bathtub to catch the water that goes down the drain while you wait for it to warm up is an easier way to conserve water. It can get poured in the toilet tank, or used for watering plants, or just slung into the pool to replace evaporative losses.

There is no way any of my toilets use that much water in a day ... MAYBE half that, but I don't think any are flushed enough for even half to be true.

Interesting ideas though.

Many many years ago while living in Virginia Beach, VA our water supply was in dire shape and the city instituted water rationing of 50gal/per/day. OMG we all became experts at creative water use. First everyone got wells sunk for the lawns and gardens. Then their was the practice of minimal toilet flushing- "If its yellow-let it mellow, if its brown-flush it down". Gross, huh? We also set up the clothes washer so that the laundry sink would collect the final rinse water and we'd use that to start the next load of wash or if it wasn't needed, filling a small trashcan with the water and using it to flush the toilet.

It was not a lot of fun yet everyone was in it together so it made it more tolerable and in some ways adventurous. Necessity is the mother of adventure and all that....

If you need to use 40 gals a day dont filter the water and send it to a garden or lawn. Fish poop would be good for the pants and your fish would get fresh water. Or turn part of you tank into a hydroponic garden the plants will clean the water. I like to tinker so I would build the toilet for the fun of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.