Inground leak troubleshooting

Jul 5, 2015
New York
High everyone first time forum poster, 13 year pool owner. I have a in ground pool that I am currently losing about a half inch or more per day

Pool liner is 3 years old and after spending over a hour underwater checking, I can find no signs of any problems. I have no air bubbles discharging in to the pool and no signs of anything being wet anywhere around the plumbing.

i took a couple a pictures of my skimmer that I would like a opinion on. There is a obvious separation around the lip that holds the skimmer basket. Is it possible to lose water from this area?

i am at a loss currently. This has only started happening this year. I have made no changes in equipment or have had any damage over the winter that I am aware of.

any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 74
Entirley possible that it is leaking from there. Stop adding water and see where the water stops going down at.

As a side note, we discourage using the skimmer as a place to add trichlor pucks as the super-chlorinated water when the pump is not running can damage the plastic of the skimmer. Additionally, that same super-chlorinated water is sucked through the system when the pump starts and is not good for the seals in the pump.

You could also add a small amount of blue dye "Aquashade" to the area you suspect of leaking and see where it flows. I use it in my 1 acre pond and have found leaks this way. It is harmless to aquatic life so I wouldn't think you will have a problem if you add just a small amount. Small amount is about the size of a thimble or smaller. I purchase it "gallon size" at my local Farmers CO-OP. ITs around $40 per gallon. I can tint my pond numerous times with the single gallon. Very concentrated. Food coloring might also work but I am not sure how dense the color would be once added to the pool.

I am still dealing with this. I don't think the separation shown in my skimmer is a problem. It appears to be just a lip the basket sits on and is not molded into the skimmer body.

i closed off all plumbing pipes tonight and will see if it is a plumbing problem or a liner / skimmer issue.

thanks for the advice on the dye. Will try that next if it is not the pipes.

also thanks for the chlorine tab advice. I have always put them in the skimmer and never knew it was a bad idea.

I am still dealing with this. I don't think the separation shown in my skimmer is a problem. It appears to be just a lip the basket sits on and is not molded into the skimmer body.

i closed off all plumbing pipes tonight and will see if it is a plumbing problem or a liner / skimmer issue.

thanks for the advice on the dye. Will try that next if it is not the pipes.

also thanks for the chlorine tab advice. I have always put them in the skimmer and never knew it was a bad idea.

I responded to your PM with the name of the guy i used and a member from here who is in the business and much closer to you. With a SWG you may want to consider ditching the pucks entirely since you don't really need them at all.

Get your leak fixed then read up on our method of pool care .... you might want to join us!

Well I guess I should be happy that I did pavers instead of concrete years ago. Suction side line is leaking. I had no water loss over the last 24 hours when I closed off the pipes.

i would assume that the pipe has to be dug up. Anyone have recommendations for a easy fix? I was thinking since I close off the line, let the water drain out, remove the inlet pipe from the pump and maybe pour a good amount of some type of stop leak if they make it?

I am not sure you have narrowed it down to an underground leak. Tell us why you are sure it's underground and are sure it's on the suction side.

Please don't use "stop leak" of any kind until you pinpoint the leak and probably not then.

I am not sure you have narrowed it down to an underground leak. Tell us why you are sure it's underground and are sure it's on the suction side.

Please don't use "stop leak" of any kind until you pinpoint the leak and probably not then.

I feel it was on the suction side because that pipe was dry after sitting for 24 hours. I had to prime my pump.

I understand, but that doesn't confirm it is underground. Actually, these leaks are seldom underground so that's good news. Have you read the article on suction side leaks in Pool School? That may be helpful.

I don't think you should dig just yet.....there might be an easier fix.

I understand, but that doesn't confirm it is underground. Actually, these leaks are seldom underground so that's good news. Have you read the article on suction side leaks in Pool School? That may be helpful.

I don't think you should dig just yet.....there might be an easier fix.
i am not rushing to dig. That is the last thing I want to do. There is no other place for the water to leak from. I had no notable water loss when I plugged my lines.

I understand when the pump runs it creates a vacuum and there should be no water loss from suction side while running. So if we take that line out of the picture, then I have 2 more pipes underground. I have the return line from the filter to the pool and a equalizer line from side of pool to skimmer. I plugged off the equalizer line yesterday and my water loss looks like it was cut in half.

So so now it is possible the 1/4 inch I lost today could have come from evaporation. If blocking off the equalizer line fixes it, then I am good to go. If not I have no other choice to dig. If I am going to dig, then I might as well replace both lines at the same time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.