What rpm to run hayward Max-flo vs pump??

Cpool

Oct 30, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi guys,

Just installed new Hayward max-flo vs pump with Hayward pro grid de filter. I am trying to take advantage of the lower rpm settings and want to set it to turnover water once every 24hrs...

Pool is around 32000 gallons
Piping is 1 1/2
Pro grid de filter
10psi at full speed with filter clean
Reads 147 watts at 1500rpm

I've read this is difficult to calculate but can someone just helps get close?

want to set it to turnover water once every 24hrs...
Why?

Read this first: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

If you don't believe that you can have a clean pool which such little run time, then read the article in my signature regarding pump run time.

But your flow rate is about 30 GPM at 1500 RPM.

Ok great info thanks. So where would you start? Not much debris enters the pool, I do have a swg so I need to make sure I have the % / run time set right so the chlorine is good. Pump goes down to 600rpm. I just went with once a day bc I have read that on this site before.

Thanks

I would go by the SWG because that is likely to be the limiting factor and will probably drive run time. Set the SWG for 100% and then adjust run time to get to the appropriate FC level. Probably at least 4 hours.

As for RPM, that is basically trial and error. Usually the skimmer will stop working when flow rates get too low. However, if you don't have a lot of debris and your only requirement is for chlorine, then you can choose the lowest RPM available as long as the flow rate is high enough for the SWG.

We have lots of trees, donkeys and dogs. During busy tree time spring and fall it runs 24x7. Once I go out enough times in a row and there isn't much stuff in my pool I dial it back to 12 hours. But, it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run my pump 24x7 so I'm not in a hurry to dial it back. And when it gets below freezing I run it 24x7 also.

My SWG is on its own timer, it is running 6 or 7 hours right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.