Bought a house with a pool...... now what???

Anyways, I bought a new place, it has a pool, I have no clue where to start!! I wont have to open it for a couple months since there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground. I guess Ill spend the next 2 months figuring that out reading stuff on here.. thank god for not so busy night shift! One of the fellas I work with highly recommends a chlorine generator so I plan on buying one... which one? I dunno. The pool doesnt have a heater presently but wouldnt be a bad idea... how well do the solar systems work? are they worth it? Im in a place called Kamloops, BC, Canada. The weather is really nice roughly 30-35 C for 3-4 Months. Motorcycle weather from mid to late april untill the end of october. I know it will be some work.... but it will all be worth it to be floatin around drinkin a brew!!

Welcome to TFP! Read, read, and read some more. I'd start with Pool School and "Just Getting Started".

To help those here on the forum help you, please put your pool info in your signature. That way, we're not repeatedly asking you what the size of your pool is, what type filtration, size pump, etc.

The BBB method we advocate here is based on knowing what your water chemistry is, and adding common household chemicals to maintain that chemistry. To that end, we encourage those that ask for help to learn how to test their water using a good test kit, such as the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 test kit sold by a member here on the forum. The test kit will be the best investment you'll make for maintaining your pool. Once you master testing your water yourself, you'll be surprised how easy it is to maintain a trouble-free pool.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Mike

Hi Jscahapansky!
From one newbie to another welcome to TFP :wave: :wave:
I can't give answer to your question since I don't know anything myself:).
Your describtion over the weather situation you experience where you live, is similiar to what we have over here.
I have looked into both solar panels and wood pan as an option to heat up our pool water, but finally ended up with a heatpump.
Time will tell if it was a good choice or not. What weigh over to HP for us was the possibility to let it run on the night and come up to a nice temperature in the morning. From my research solar panel makes a terrific job once the sun is up but when you need the heat most(when it's overcast) the efficiency is not that good.
Good luck!

I would like to ask Mike where I can get one of those testkits that you mentioned in your post. I have searched the boards but can't find any links.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! You have come to the right place to learn about pool care. Spend a little time in Pool School, see the link near the top right of every page, and you will learn quickly. If there is anything you don't understand, feel free to ask questions!

Solar is a great choice, lots of heat for the money you spend, but you need to be aware of it's limitations. A series of cloudy days and there won't be much heat and you won't be able to swim. Gas heat and heat pumps cost much more to operate, but they produce heat exactly when you want it. If the focus is on more swimming, and specific days don't mater, then solar is perfect. On the other hand, if you schedule a pool party in advance and then get cloudy weather, solar is less than ideal.

The TF100 is a great test kit, but it isn't available in Canada. The Taylor K-2006 is probably your best bet in Canada, but it does cost quite a bit more there than it would here in the US.

You will never regret having your kit before you start maintaining your pool. It gives you such a great headstart. Folks on this forum will always help with whatever questions you have.