Pipe Insulation

Jun 15, 2008
S.E. Wisconsin
I did a quick search but didn't see anythign so I figure I'll ask.

I have aprox. 35 ft runs of 2" PVC that go from the spa to the equipment. My pipes are only maybe a foot or so underground which is above the frost line in WI. I've got one 3" suction line and two 2" return lines. That's quite a bit of surface area exposed to the frozen ground. I think this may end up being a signifigant area for heat loss in the winter. Escpecially when Ill probably be running the pump on low almost constantly to protect the equip. from freezing.

So, the question is... Do I need to insulate these pipes? If I do, what kind should I use?
The plan is to use Reflectix wrapped around the pipes. Mainly because I heat it's good at reflecting heat, it's not bulky, and it's waterproof. The thing is, I'm not sure if this will be enough.
Link to their site. I'd be using the normal Insuation(4'x50' roll)
http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageIndex=729#ReflectiveInsulations

Thanks,
Adam

Using pipe insulation is rather rare. Yes, heat is lost through the pipes. However, far more heat is lost from the spa it's self. On the one hand pipe insulation is inexpensive and really can't hurt. On the other hand, putting your effort and money into thinking of ways to insulate the spa usually has a bigger payback.

Any attempt to insulate underground pipes has to be absolutely waterproof with some airspace around the pipe.

One of the best ways is to insert your pvc pipe inside 4" black poly drain pipe. The surrounding airspace between pipes makes for good insulation but you cannot have any underground joints in the black poly. Once water seeps into the outer layer, all insulating value is lost.

As Jason said, insulating the spa will probably give you a far greater return.

Well, on top of the foam insulation on the spa I'm wrapping the whole spa in R-30 fiberglass insulation. I'm going to wrap and seal the fiberglass in plastic to make sure it stays dry and retains it's insulating properties. I'm going to cut some left-over solar bubble cover to fit the inside of the spa so it lays on the water. On top of that is the normal Hot Tub cover that came with the tub. I'm considering adding another home made cover to go on top of that. This would be made of that pink foam board which I will seal in plastic. The plan would be to make it one solid piece and have a 3 inch overhang all around that fits tightly against all the edges. Maybe I'd even add weatherstripping around the edges to seal around the top.

As for insulating the pipes... I guess I'll still wrap them in Reflectix. Probably won't hurt, might help, and it's not expensive. I'm going to tape all the seams so that should keep water out for at least a little while. Refletix is basically bubble wrap with a foil backing on both sides so it still might work if it gets wet.

Adam

I know this is old but I'm thinking of the same issue. I may put solar panels on my roof and then need to run 300-400 feet or pipe(2X150 feet) to the roof. I'd guess the heat loss in
300 feet of pipe would be rather large. Heck, my 3 Geo thermal loops are only 250 feet deep. I would need to insulate these pipes rather well. If not I'd guess I'd lose 1/4 to 1/2 of the heat i'm generating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.