Vacation Disaster

Jul 5, 2015
Lancaster/PA
Returned from vacation to find that the pool pump and filter had not been running for nearly four days. Now the pool is cloudy and seems to have algae growth. What is my best course of action. We work with a pool company, and we will be able to have them help tomorrow (closed over the holiday weekend), but is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks!

:(

Ok, well if you want to believe in the quality of Leslie's pool water testing, how much stuff did they want to sell you for phosphates that aren't even a problem, did they explain to you that your CYA may very well be over 100 but their test will only read that high, not sure if your CH is even needed because we don't have your pool details, and they failed to provide you with any chlorine or combined chloramines levels. <shrug>

Get a TF-100 pool test kit from the link in my signature and tell us your results so we can advise better. Save a TON of money on the pool guy who probably contributed to that high CYA level... Pool care is EASY once you learn what everything means. Honest!!

The "professional" pool company is ding you no favors. With "once a week" pool care they have to use pucks and shock, both of which are almost half stabilizer/CYA.

Leslie's is showing 100 on the CYA test and 100 is the limit of the CYA test - so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Mixing pool store advice/testing with TFP methods is just another recipe for disaster. So, either wait for your pool company to fix the problems or take control yourself. There is no magic answer we are going to be able to give you to fix it.

If you want to take control, order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Your professional pool company has gotten you into a very bad place, assuming your CYA of 100 is correct. Why you want more advice from them is hard to understand.

Without FC and CC readings, and without an indication that you are are interested in the methods here, no one here is going to recommend much more.

If your pool went to algae so quickly it might mean that you were right on the edge of what your CYA/chlorine levels could handle (see this link: Chlorine/CYA Chart). So the minute you had less than ideal chlorine amounts with respect to the CYA in your pool, the algae took over.

I think what you do now depends on if you are going to deal with the pool yourself (testing/adding chlorine, etc) or if you are going to keep going with the pool company. If you decide to do it yourself you should get a good test kit and read up on pool water chemistry (sounds confusing, but it's fairly straightforward: stuff grows and water gets cloudy if your chlorine levels aren't adequate!). If you are waiting for the pool company, you might want to have them come to double check things when you are on vacation (and be prepaid to spend when things don't go as planned!).

Good luck!

I glad you found this site. The methods taught here work extremely well if you are open to learning and maintaining it yourself, and can most likely save you money vs the pool company. Letting CYA get to 100+ is not a good thing as it requires high level of FC to avoid algae. Many pool companies and pool stores do not seem to have the knowledge that you'll find on this site.

I'll suggest you read the "Pool School" section which you'll see on the TFP main page. And if you decide you want to pursue the methods here, ask all the questions you want and the folks here will guide you through everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you very much for your kindness. I ordered the test kit that others recommended. We will also be having someone from the pool company (not family:)) check the pool when we are away more often. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading "Pool School" now! Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.