High Copper In Inground Pool

Hello,
I have a kidney shaped pool size: 12 x 20 x 26 Depth: 3 1/2ft x 6ft. I am advised it is 12,000 gallons of water but not sure it if is correct. I have a vinyl liner, Hayward pro-grid vertical DE Filter, automatic chlorine feeder.. I disconnected the heater and repiped the plumbing to override the heater. I emptied the pool twice and the copper is still high. How can I get the copper below the 3 reading. I also notice the bioguard maintain shock states is has copper in it. Could that cause the issue also.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes if you are using a product that contains copper it will increase the copper levels in your pool. High copper is almost always caused by algacides and mineral packs that contain copper. The only way to get rid of the copper is a complete drain and refill and to not use any more products containing copper. Since you have a vinyl liner you will want to leave at least a foot in the shallow end to prevent the liner from wrinkling, floating, or shifting out of place.

In my experience (and it is my experience and thereby totally unscientific, but confirmed many a time) copper is drastically reduced if the pool is flocced (treated with flocculant). I usec to run one of those copper ion pools, and at some point it would become high (little swimmer load). At the same point I had to floc (algae dead, water clowdy, filter does not help). After that the copper tested at nearly 0 ppm. Repeated at least three times over three years. Worked every time (and lowering copper was not the goal either).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.