New pool owner as of yesterday...help need to get started : )

Jul 5, 2015
Greenwich, CT
We just had an above ground 12x24ft pool installed yesterday. I don't know anything about pool maintenance so I'm hoping someone can help us get started. The pool installer went over how to operate the filter etc. but didn't get into any details about how to get the water/chemicals balanced.

So right now I ahve 5950 gallons of tap water in the pool and I need to get started and haven't any idea where to start. Leslie's pool supply (from whom we bought the pool) gave us a 4 step flyer but the first step is to test and balance the water - not sure if this makes any sense since it's tap water. So I did it anyway and of course there's no chlorine or bromine and the pH seems to be well below the ideal 7.5.

I supposedly have all the chemicals I need to get started but no idea where to begin...am I supposed to start with the Shock? If yes, exactly how/where do I add it to the pool?

Thank you in advance for your help!

:confused:

You have made an excellent start! Now that you have the pool, stay OUT of the pool store.

The FIRST thing you need to do is order a test kit to monitor your pool water. Personally, I recommend the Taylor K-2006C(NOT the K-2006A), because it gives you 2 Oz. of each reagent and a couple of reagents that make pH testing a little easier. It will be good for two seasons.

Second, read, read, read here in pool school.... see the above links. Third, awaiting your test kit, use PoolMath to add 2-3 ppm of chlorine per day.

Finally, when your test kit arrives, post your test numbers and we can advise how to proceed.