Advice needed - Return plumbing on pool deck.

We decided two years ago that the water loss from the pool was on the return side. 3,000G a day! So, we plugged the jets and ran a fire hose from the pump to the far end of the pool. Works great; looks horrible!

We want to run 2" PVC on the deck and T out some returns down into the pool to circulate water better. Does anyone have advice on how to step down the PVC in diameter to make the jets work the best? Do we T off with 2" and the step down to 1" into the pool? Or, should we go with 3/4" into the pool? We think it needs three jets - just like the inground lines were. And how far down into the water should the jets be?

Attachments

• Pool07052015.JPG
    Pool07052015.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
What caused the lines to fail? Did they freeze and bust? If you want to run it above ground you could run 2" around and reduce to the standard 1-1/2" return fitting size to put return eyeballs. If you're handy enough to do all the piping yourself, you're probably handy enough to cut the concrete and repair the lines yourself and not spend a fortune again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We simply don't have the funds to do that again. It was done 12 years ago, for $15,000...and failed in 10 years.

that sucks, sorry to hear that... you could use 2 inch pipe all the way to the pool..

lowes will have everything you need to do this

1. I would probably use a 90 to drop it 12 inches into the water then T it..
2. use a 90 at the end of each pointing to the other side of the pool
3. use a short piece of 2 inch pipe into the 90's
4. use a 2 inch to 1.5 inch threaded coupling ( that way you can use normal returns like this..)

build the entire part that will be in the pool first and then connect it to the pipe coming to the pool..

hope this will get you by until you can get a fix that will work :)

Is it one jet or all of them? If it is just one you could cut the leg at the maninfold and cap it, keeping the other returns working. Cut in ball valve on each leg so you can find the bad one. I had a leak in my house plumbing under the slab. I had a guy come out and with a high tech listening device and found the leak within 1" I think it cost me 200 but saved me a ton of time and my slab.

Well, the rub is that there is one pipe running out and around the pool, and it Ts off to 3 jets. There is no manifold. Now I'm assuming they did all of that wrong when we had it re-plumbed. Grrrr. It 'is' one jet, I'm pretty sure...so, perhaps I could dig down to that one and cap the T. That's a good idea. And, I didn't know about the listening device; that's cool. Thank you! Thank you to everyone who has offered advice; I really appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.