very cloudy pool with tiny air bubbles dispersed

Jun 17, 2015
New York
Hi

Ever since starting up the pool in spring (completely green with algae bloom), and shocking it, the water has been very cloudy and it feels like there are a lot of tiny air bubbles dispersed over the pool. It's an in-ground 14k gal pool which had a DE filter that broke a few weeks ago, but we replaced it with a sand filter. Some of the DE got in from last year into the pool, and we feel like we got most, if not all of it out. The pool water was stagnant because of the broken filter for about a week, but we still added HTH shock granules and dumped bucket full of water so it would mix, but as soon as the sand filter was installed we ran it for at least 8 hours a day for a week.

There was also a drain plug on strainer basket that was not tightening (creating a suction side air leak) , even with Teflon tape, so I tightened it as much as it would, and used silicone caulk over it. I also examined the strainer basket o-ring and lubed it very well, which stopped the air leak. There's no air leak with normal clean operating psi of 10-12, but as soon as it reaches around 16-20 psi, the air leak is back, and you can see the air coming out of the return eyelets. Is this causing all the tiny air bubbles which in turn causes the cloudiness?

My pool readings are also quite normal:
PH - 7-7.2
TA - 55-60
FC - 4
CYA - 25 (I've tried to crush the granules and add as a milky substance but wasn't exactly registering on the test)

The pool is also a bit hard to examine because the liner is Californian black, or dark navy blue, but the water looks as if there isn't any algae. There is also some foam coming up on the pool, I thought this was from the algaecide I added about 3-4 weeks back, but I thought it should be gone by now.
Edit - also I'm sure this isn't an SWG pool.
Thank you.

Hello and welcome! We here at TFP do things a little different than what most people learn from the pools store. So let me give you an initial reply on some things to get you started before you see the other replies flowing in:
- When water is cloudy/green, we don't shock, we "SLAM" - the key being to maintain a certain FC level. Please see the SLAM link below
- Bubbles would be indicative of a suction side air leak. You appear to have searched a bit, but if you still have bubbles, there must be something missing. The following is our suction side leak page: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
- Typically we add stabilizer via the sock method near a pool return. Once it dissolves, it takes about a week to show-up on your CYA tests.
- Don't put any more pool store products in your water. Bad stuff. :grrrr:
- What test kit are you using to get those readings? The proper test kit is priority #1 (see my TF-100 link below)

We're happy to assist. Once you reply, one of us will provide further direction. Have a nice day.

I see. Unfortunately, many of those store kits fall short in accuracy. Also, we never use test strips. Not worth the paper they are printed on. Your current kit may give you reasonable PH or TA results, but you won't get the free chlorine or combined chlorine readings you need unless you obtain the proper FAS-DPD testing method (uses a scoop of power and separate reagent droplets). I'm not familiar with the CYA testing method for that particular kit, but for those on this site who rely on the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, the CYA testing requires mixing the reagent and pouring into a vile (tube) where we watch for a black dot to disappear. Some of these items can be ordered separately on the TF-100 site (link below). In any case, liquid bleach is the way to go. Print-out the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) and refer to it when comparing your CYA and what your FC should be. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.