avoiding dents in polystyrene foam while putting wall in track

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
How would one avoid putting dents and cuts in the polystyrene foam when getting the walls of the pool in the track? When we did a dry run before the foam and it was just level clay/sand it went pretty easily. I didn't use any plywood to sit the wall on it seemed to be harder to use plywood. We placed the metal wall in a roll in the center and just inched it out. The walls were actually seamed together galled or rusted at the seam. I was able to detach the edges. I have a photo. I hope it works.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/Teresa_Lundquist/11698577_10200606342318467_1347509986208023119_n_zps25zbtwch.jpg

My thought was to have 3 people and maybe some T post to secure the wall too. Unroll the wall around the outside of the track and hop it into the track.

We went with the foam to help with heat retention, smoother bottom. We are praying for no wind. I have the foam weighted down. We live at high altitude and the sun gets too hot to continue this morning

Under the foam is think carpet and then a sand clay mix. All the patio blocks were leveled. A big trick will be positioning the vertical brackets over the patio blocks.

In the interest of closing the barn door after the horse has left.

Put the wall up in the track and THEN do all of your base work.

-dave

Edit: Looking at your picture, you do not want your bottom track on top of the foam base. It needs to go on a firm surface, as do your pavers.

-dave

Well the wall is up in the track. We did the roll on the out side of the track with 4ftx4ft plywood. It went pretty well. I did 2/3 my self. I added the metal coping and gorrila taped as I went around. The metal coping held the top round and prevented it drooping. Then hubby helped the rest. The bottom rail shifted all over the place during install on top of the foam. I did make registration marks where the verticals and base plate would be o top of the patio blocks. In retrospect I would put patio blocks in all the way around so if it shifted it would hit another block if it shifted.

The foam extends a foot beyond the patio blocks. I have see pictures where the plate was at the edge of the foam and topple off the edge.

As for having the base plates on foam, I couldn't get a sense if people cut out holes for the base plate and patio block. The whole bottom rail is on a road base backed. The soil the pool rests on is compacted clay.

It started raining so we stopped and put lots of heavy stuff around the pool. The pool is surrounded by the house and wall and pine trees so I'm hoping we don't get much wind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.