Will pH Read High with High FC And High CYA

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
I was surprised that my pH seem to rise dramatically over a couple weeks, after raising the chlorine due to high CYA. I was also trying to get rid of some algae. At the same time, I got the pool pump system working better with better flow, so the spillway for the spa started working. Now I am not sure if I am reading high pH due to higher FC, or it is due to more aeration from the spa spillway. Will you get a different reading for pH with a pool with high FC and low CYA, and a pool with high FC and high CYA. I am not sure if I should be adding acid or not.

FC 25
CC 0
CH 750
TA 190
CYA 120
pH 8.2

Thanks Richard, I just spent the last 10 minutes looking for the very post you linked. I had those pictures in mind which I said "No, that won't work", but felt I needed to back it up with some evidence.

Great information, guys! It looks like it is another reason why it is hard to operate a pool with a high CYA. You need higher FC even without a SLAM, but then the pH reading becomes distorted.

I'm learning so much here. Thank you very much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.