$100 to clean my filter?

My pool people are charging me $100 to clean my filter. Does this require special chemicals or tools? Can I do this myself?
hqdefault.jpg

There are videos on youtube that show exactly how to do it. And these video guys usually drag things out way longer than necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a visually pleasant aspect as the hose cleans it from dark to light like an eraser, and after that the 10 year old in me sprays the bejeezus out of the filters because who doesn’t LOVE playing with the hose ????????

I have to clean mine once a year. I do it twice more just for hose playing.

• Haha
Reactions: homegameroom
Mig,

As much fun as this has been so far, I would not clean your filter for $100 bucks..

What size filter do you have? It sounds like a good price to me..

That said, I would not pay $100 bucks to have my filter cleaned, because I have the skills and tools to do it myself. If you have the skills and tools, just do it yourself.. If not, then I think $100 bucks is a far price.

When was the last time it was cleaned, what is your filter pressure at your normal pump speed? Are you currently having a problem that you believe will be fixed by cleaning the filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Mig,

As much fun as this has been so far, I would not clean your filter for $100 bucks..

What size filter do you have? It sounds like a good price to me..

That said, I would not pay $100 bucks to have my filter cleaned, because I have the skills and tools to do it myself. If you have the skills and tools, just do it yourself.. If not, then I think $100 bucks is a far price.

When was the last time it was cleaned, what is your filter pressure at your normal pump speed? Are you currently having a problem that you believe will be fixed by cleaning the filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you for the responses. My pool is only 2 months old, the same as the equipment. The "poop people" did the startup.

I have a cartridge filter and the filter pressure is around 15 psi when at normal speed. I'm not sure the reason for the filter cleaning. Maybe they know something I don't.

+1 on this. Try getting a plumber, electrician, etc. to come to your house and do 15 mins of work for under $100.

Most people on this forum have the time and passion to do this, but if not that seems like a good deal.

Reactions: Newdude
+2, all jokes aside. Most trades fetch a minimum hour charge just to show up. Plus whatever work needs to be done.

Thank you for the responses. My pool is only 2 months old, the same as the equipment. The "poop people" did the startup.

I have a cartridge filter and the filter pressure is around 15 psi when at normal speed. I'm not sure the reason for the filter cleaning. Maybe they know something I don't.
2 months old means there's a probably a bunch of plaster dust on it.

Assuming the people are professional and do a good job, the price is fair.

It takes more than 15 minutes. Time on property is probably closer to 1 hour.

In addition, you have travel time, which is at least 15 minutes each way.

You have vehicle costs, back office administrative costs to take your call, schedule the appointment, and handling billing and collections.

The business has overhead just to operate, insurance, rent, taxes, license etc.

Anything less than $100 per hour is going to lose money.

Got it. Does 15 psi sound like a good pressure for my filter to be at? I'm going to look up videos on how to clean the filter. I'm working from home, so I do have the time to do it myself if all I need is a water hose :)

My pool guy also charges $100 for a cartridge filter cleaning, and I agree that it's a fair price.

I also would not pay it. You can easily do it even if you're not particularly handy. The instructions in the Pentair manual are very clear, and I did it myself after the first month because of the construction dust and new plaster. It took me about half an hour. Most of that time was spent spraying with the hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.