Let's talk Bar-B-Que

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Just thought I would share a recipe for my favorite bbq rub. I wish I could say I came up with it myself, but it comes form Mike Mills, 3 time champion of the International Memphis in May BBQ Cook-Off (otherwise known as the "Superbowl of BBQ")

It's called Magic Dust. I like to use this as a starting point and then tweak it to my own tastes:

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons mustard powder

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1/4 cup granulated garlic

2 tablespoons cayenne

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

Mike says, "You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove. Keeps indefinitely but won't last long."

I have used to on Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and just about anyplace you might use salt and pepper - great stuff.

Nice recipe, i should try that one day.

I have a question about briskets. Up here in Canada they don't seem to be
as popular as down south. I would like to cook one on the BBQ but not sure how to. Do you have any tip and recipes. I currently have a gas grill and a little portable charcoal BBQ. Can it be done on the grill?

crazycanuck said:
Nice recipe, i should try that one day.

I have a question about briskets. Up here in Canada they don't seem to be
as popular as down south. I would like to cook one on the BBQ but not sure how to. Do you have any tip and recipes. I currently have a gas grill and a little portable charcoal BBQ. Can it be done on the grill?

You can cook it on the gas grill, but it won't have the same flavor. How little is your charcoal grill?

The secret to brisket is cooking it long and slow. Here's a pretty safe method that will give great results.

Get a 6-8lb brisket and the night before you are going to cook, rub it down with yellow mustard. It won't really effect the final flavor but will allow the seasoning to make a good coat. Then liverally season with the rub Don't actually "rub" it into the meat though as it clogs the pores and keeps the smoke from penetrating as much. Wrap it up and store in the refridgerator overnight.

You'll need to cook it for about 1-1.5 hrs per pound so be prepared to start early.

I use a smoker so I just get my fire in the firebox, but if you are using a grill, you'll want to stack your charcoal all on one end of the grill so that you are not cooking directly over the heat.

Before starting, soak some wood chips (hickory or pecan) in water for about a half hour.

Keep the temperature in the grill between 200-225 while cooking. Put the meat on the grill with the fat side up - this allows the fat to cook into the brisket and keeps it from drying out.

Don't rotate the meat too often. If you have a small grill and have to cook near the heat, you'll have to turn more often to prevent overcooking, but otherwise, you should only turn it a few times.

As you are cooking, place the wood chips on the coals to give the meat the smoke flavor. How long you smoke it is up to your personal taste. I like a good smoke flavor so I add new chips about every half hour for 4 hours.

(caution: if you decide to use mesquite, don't overdo it. It will give your meat a bitter taste)

Afer about 4 hours, take the meat off the grill and double wrap in heavy foil. Place it in the oven at 225 degrees for another 4 hours. You will already have a good flavor to the meat and this will allow very even cooking.

Then take the brisket and store in a dry ice chest for a couple more hours. This will allow it to continue cooking from it's own heat.

Here's another important rule for brisket - don't put bbq sauce on it. Serve the sauce on the side and then people can choose to use it if they like. For brisket, I prefer a tomoto based sauce. I like sweeter sauces for pork or ribs.

I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

-----------
If you have to cook with the gas grill, just use the burner on one end to get the temp right. You can buy cast iron wood chip holders and put that over the flame to get the smoke. This will help the flavor but using charcoal and wood is best IMO.

crazycanuck said:
Wow! 10 hours!
and can brisket be stored away frozen?... 10 hours, i might as well make a bunch.

I'm sure it could, but I wouldn't want to keep it too long that way. When I have leftover, I chop it up and make BBQ sandwiches. If you have a small grill, you might not be able to do more than one though.

Also, remember, this is 10 hours outside, by the pool, in the shade, listening to music, having a couple beers, hanging out with friends, etc - it's a pastime.

Here is what I learned. I do own both an off-set smoker and gas grill (5 burner). I found that using on the gas grill and want smoke flavor use a stainless steel or iron cast wood chip box. Then using the gas grill off set the meat away from the heavy heat. :)
---> But its true that gas is not as yummy as charcoal or smoker type grills.

Ok, now I am hungry.

4.jpg

The day before I cooked the brisket, I rubbed plain mustard over the entire brisket. Then I coated the entire brisket with Dizzy Pig's All-Purpose rub. Put in a container and put sugar and the top-side (sugar gone by morning). Then I cooked indirectly at 225 degrees about 7 hours (only a 5lb brisket). Wrapped in foil and let settle for an hour and then cut it. Was great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I have a new toy I bought a few weeks ago...The Big Green Egg. It uses lump charcoal and wood. After a few times you really get the hang of controlling the temperature. It can cook low and slow for 24 hours or well over 700 degrees for great steak searing and cooking. I have not done an overnight cook yet but I will as soon as I get a free weekend (will do pork butts for pulled pork). Like pool ownership...it is like a fun little cult. You should check out www.biggreenegg.com.

Mike

I've seen those and I've read a lot of rave reviews. I don't think there are many smokers out there that can maintain temperature as well as an egg.

I'm using a Chargriller Smokin Pro right now, but I've got my eye on THIS smoker by Klose.

It's not too much larger than what I have now, but it has much heavier metal and would do a better job of controlling heat, smoke and temperature.

It's kind of far down on the wish list though. I just made the downpayment for one of my kids braces today - ouch!

Hi all :)

With all the talk about rubs...I got to wondering if anyone else uses Penzy's Spices?

They've got some great (fresh) whole spices and freshly ground spices. Also, their selection of Cumin, paprikas and other spices are pretty darn good...and tasty.

happy grillin',
dan

First and foremost...their spices are fresh...and flavorful. But buying in bulk is nice too. I know I usually make a couple batches of ribs, pork shoulder and brisket every couple of months...so I could go through alot of spices in my rub mix. Some spices do go quicker than I would have thought...so the bulk doesn't last all that long.

Making homemade sticky buns (from Cooks Illustrated) are out of this world with the Cassia Cinnamon. Oh yeah...try your chili spices here too.

take care,
dan

I grew up in west tn, near the tennesse, mississippi, and alabama border. Doesnt matter what you are smoking the important part is the smoke and time. Pap (grand dad) always said"low and slow and keep the smoke rolling". We used hickory to do a half of hog at a time on open pits. I have smoked on a grill using foil with a mix of wet and dry wood chips. I now have a electric smoker that I have rigged a temp control and a good wood chip box. I do a ham, or a shoulder cooking it slow with lower heat and high smoke for the first few hours to let the meat soak the smoke and then up the temp for the last 2 or 3 hours. I break out the thremometer to check the internal temp. If the meat is lean I stop when the 140 to 150 but if there is a good amount of fat I take it to around 170. The main thing is never let the wood show any flame due to the burning by products will cause a bitter flavor. Good smoked meat dosent need any sauce just a little cole-slaw and a few beans.
Steve :eat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.