Let's talk Bar-B-Que

When I was a kid(a long time ago) we used to smoke salmon, cod and some pork.

The smoker was an old refrigerator with a stove pipe and damper for the smoke
control and a hot plate with a big cast iron frying pan where you but the chips to
make the smoke. The refrigerator already had racks to put the fish or meat on.
With some adjustment you could keep the temp at 150 to 180 deg. The bad part
was you had to get up in the middle of the night to re-stoke the smoker.

The rural folks could still get away with that type of smoker, but the city folks
probably not.

Sure did make some good stuff.

Cliff s

cliff_s said:
When I was a kid(a long time ago) we used to smoke salmon, cod and some pork.

The smoker was an old refrigerator with a stove pipe and damper for the smoke
control and a hot plate with a big cast iron frying pan where you but the chips to
make the smoke. The refrigerator already had racks to put the fish or meat on.
With some adjustment you could keep the temp at 150 to 180 deg. The bad part
was you had to get up in the middle of the night to re-stoke the smoker.

The rural folks could still get away with that type of smoker, but the city folks
probably not.

Sure did make some good stuff.

Cliff s
Been there as well but we had an old freezer with stovepipe run to old metal box. We built a fire under the box and put damp hickory saw dust in the box. Smoked pork most of the time but now and then we would drop a chicken in for a few hours then finish it in the oven. We would buy blogna by the stick and smoke it for snacks while waiting for the pig to get done. I miss those days over at my grand parents. We started on a Friday morning smokeing and the whole little town that I grew up would show up on Sunday after noon for dinner. It was a lot more simpler time.
Steve

Here are some recent pork butts on the Big Green Egg:

It is so easy to make.

ButtsDone06-02-07.jpg

ShreddedButt06-02-07.jpg

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker that I use weekly. It must do a good job as there are rarely leftovers. I use mostly apple,pecan and hickory. Up here mesquite isn't to popular. Cooking on this is a breeze. Rub it up,put it on and drink beer.

I've got two smokers; a Brinkmann vertical charcoal smoker that I've converted to gas, and a Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain gasser. I tried charcoal in the Brinkmann at first, but didn't like the idea of staying up overnight to stoke the fire, so I bought a burner and a propane hose/adapter, and use that instead. I do butts for pulled pork and babybacks, and am going to try smoking some sausage (also referred to as a "fatty") here in the near future. In fact, I've got a family get-together coming up that I'm planning on doing at least two butts and 5 racks of ribs.

I've made my rub in the past from a recipe I found on the 'net called a "Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Rub" which is almost identical to the one you posted Sean, sans sugar. However, I found some Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous seasoning @ Sam's, and am going to do some dry ribs at the family get-together. I love going to the Rendezvous when I'm in Memphis, and have gone so far as to schedule trips on Tuesday - Friday, because the Rendezvous isn't open on Monday. :lol:

I've also found a great recipe for a vinegar-based finishing sauce for pulled pork, if anyone would care to try it. Good stuff! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SeanB said:
uwimage, looks great!

What kind of sauce is that Brian, tomato based or sweet? I make my own seasoning blend now, but still buy the sauce. Maybe I'll start trying to make my own.

It's kind of a mustard base. They sell just the sauce in a take home bottle. You should swing by and get you some. If you could duplicate that recipe on your own, you'd be a millioaire. :-D

Here's my favorite dry rub recipe:

1 C turbinado sugar
1/3 C kosher salt
1 Tbsp ground red pepper
3 Tbsp dried onions
3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp Old Bay
2 Tbsp ground yellow mustard

Combine all in a food processor and pulse several times to mix.

Here's a good eastern NC sauce recipe (my favorite type):

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1-2 tablespoon brown sugar (depending on your taste)
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon Crystal hot pepper sauce (Tabasco will do if you can't get Crystal))
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl or with a blender. It's better if you can prepare this a couple of days in advance so the flavors have time to blend. It will keep a month or more in the refrigerator.

If you lean toward the western NC style or just want to try it, here's a simple one:

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (you can substitute up to a quarter of this with balsamic vinegar; some of the fruit based ones work well but it may make it too sweet for some)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl or with a blender. It's better if you can prepare this a couple of days in advance so the flavors have time to blend. It will keep a month or more in the refrigerator.

Here's a South Carolina sauce recipe (mustard based):

3/4 cup prepared mustard (try creole mustard for a little twist)
3/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar (I prefer the red wine but use whichever you like)
1/4 cup brown or turbinado sugar (the turbinado isn't as sweet)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (don't use anything but Lea and Perrins)
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper sauce (Crystal is the best in my opinion; if you use Tabasco you may want to reduce the amount a bit)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

All of these recipes are adaptations of others I've found and (hopefully) improved.

I have no patience for true smoking (but love the flavor), so I do all my BBQ in a pressure cooker with a home made sauce. Makes great pulled pork or beef brisket in about an hour. That's probably sacrilege to you guys, huh?

Whoa kurtv... 1 Tbsp of tobasco in place of the Crystal in that Eastern NC recipe would blow my head off, and I lived in SE LA for 30 years!!

The recipes look very good, will probably try some of them. Do you like different sauces for different meat?? if so, which goes with what? What do you use the rub for? everything? Do you use rub and sauce on the same piece of meat, or just one or the other?

I can't get my mind around the first sauce recipe... looks like a bowl of vinegar to me!!

I have not used rubs very much... any my sauce comes out of a bottle... can you tell I am a total amateur?? :razz:

The Mermaid Queen said:
Whoa kurtv... 1 Tbsp of tobasco in place of the Crystal in that Eastern NC recipe would blow my head off, and I lived in SE LA for 30 years!!

You can cut it back as much as you want, but you need some heat to offset the sweetness.

The recipes look very good, will probably try some of them. Do you like different sauces for different meat?? if so, which goes with what? What do you use the rub for? everything? Do you use rub and sauce on the same piece of meat, or just one or the other?

This is a barbecue thread and barbecue means two things: Pork and low temperature cooking over wood or charcoal. So, the rub and all the sauces are meant for pulled pork. You can also use the rub on ribs (or just about any meat) though and the western NC sauce isn't at all bad on ribs.

I can't get my mind around the first sauce recipe... looks like a bowl of vinegar to me!!

Carolina barbecue, which most aficionados consider the truest barbecue, is vinegar based. You put it on at the table and don't use a great deal of it.

I have not used rubs very much... any my sauce comes out of a bottle... can you tell I am a total amateur?? :razz:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.