1 OF 2 POOL JETS NOT WORKING AFTER OPENING POOL AFTER 2 YEARS! (SOLVED)

fizzybubby123

Jun 24, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hello All, First post regarding pool maintenance. I have an inground pool with a pump and sand filter 9 x 10 ft kidney bean size. I have decided to try opening my pool myself after about 2 years. I turned the pump on different methods for short periods of time to see if the pump still worked. I ended up putting it on recirculate and threw about 40 L of liquid chlorine in there monday 17th . however i noticed ONLY 1 jet was working! I plugged that working jet and noticed water started flowing out the other jet! which leads me to think there is no obstruction or blockage. I was getting about 5 PSI . I then did a backwash and rinse, now my pump is at 10 PSI. However the issue remains only 1 jet works.

After about 5 Days of just intermittently running the pump on recirculate, the pool is still green ish so i cant see very much i vaccum to waste and something actually got caught in the vaccum head and the over suction broke the pool stick in half! i later found pine many needles in the pool filter, i have about 5-6 PSI AFTER doing backwash/rinse. not sure the issue with the jet! I am thinking there are many pine and algae around the main drain? clogging it?
please help!

Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of your equipment and valves.

You don't show in the pic the suction lines into the pump or where the line goes after the filter into the returns.

It is not clear if you have flex PVC all the way to the pool. You could have a kinked or collapsed pvc line into that jet. It looks like it is unbalanced and the return that is flowing has less resistance then the one that has little flow.

PIC 1: SET UP
PIC2: BLOCKED JET just tried to use a skewer and its blocked!
PIC3: the skewer in the Other working jet
PIC4: skewer size
What about a winterizing plug that is jammed in to that one return??
I had removed both plugs from the jets when opening the pool so i doubt it was that. However I did pay someone to close the pool 2 years ago, maybe they put something more than just the plug inside?

Last edited:
You don't show in the pic the suction lines into the pump or where the line goes after the filter into the returns.

It is not clear if you have flex PVC all the way to the pool. You could have a kinked or collapsed pvc line into that jet. It looks like it is unbalanced and the return that is flowing has less resistance then the one that has little flow.

Sorry I am still learning as I go. Newbie here lol. So you would like to see the lines from the pool sheds to the jets? i think its underground not sure if i can, or maybe the suction lines from the skimmer?

Last edited:
thumbnail_img_20190625_122723-jpg.108242

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122723.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122723.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122706.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122706.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122723.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20190625_122723.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about a winterizing plug that is jammed in to that one return??

2 years ago when opening i watched in horror (in movie like slow motion) as one of my rubber stoppers sucked itself into the pipe and past a 90 degree bend. I use screw in plugs at the returns and rubber stoppers by the equiptment. I guess by dumb luck the first few years i opened the return fittings first, relieving the negative back pressure. That rubber stopper shot in a foot and through the 90 in the blink of an eye. I thought for sure i was cutting and splicing the pipe to get it out, but 30 minutes with a shop vac finally got it. I said more prayers in those 30 minutes than i had in the few years before.

If you think you have a blockage, try a shop vac. You would need to reduce the size of the vac hose to fit tight and flush on the eyeball. And a friend to plug the working side. Intermittently plugging the good side for a few seconds wouldnt put too much stress on the pump and might help to push while the shop vac pulls.

***shop vac securely on the patio so it couldnt possible fall in the pool** (Of course)

Sorry folks I solved this situation with the most dumb thing.. the reason it was blocked because it was 90 degree pipe on one return.. i just had to simply put the fish eye in and both jets seemed to work with the balanced pressure.. sorry for wasting time but thank you for responses way better than reddit lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.