1 Month Old Pool...Chemical advice (incl. Numbers)

Lurker4Life

Aug 19, 2020
MD
Good Morning, I will do my best to make this quick and concise and thanks in advance for any help and advice. I have a new 29,000 gallon plaster, free form pool with large rock waterfall and raised spa. DE filter with 2 1hp pumps. Upon filling exactly 1 month ago I scrubbed plaster 1-2 times a day and have left pump on 24 hours a day. After 2 weeks began running robot vacuum. Adding Muratic acid and chlorine tablets as instructed by the pool company.

I just purchased the recommended Taylor K-2006C test kit and will list my numbers below along with the recommendations from the app. I understand that my Calcium hardness is way low because of the new plaster but the app calls for a HUGE amount of Calcium Chloride to bring it up to recommended level. I was also a bit confused when the app asked which chemicals I would be using. I tried to compare them to what the pool store offers and got way lost. Could someone please look at my notes and point me in what direction in regards to buying chemicals what kind and amounts and treating pool.

One last thing. The pool company is scheduled to come out this week to set up the salt chlorine generator. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Cheers, Erik

Free Chlorine:
CYA 20
Free Chlorine 0.06 Target 3.0
app calls for bleach 6% add 177oz (app lists lots of chemical options and I dont know what is best?)

PH:
Current: 8+ Target 7.6
App calls for 31.45-20* muraitic acid add 22oz

Total Alkalinity:
Current: 70 Target: 70
App says on target

Calcium Hardness:
Current:200 Target: 450
App calls for Calcium Chloride 67 pounds!!!

Cynanuric Acid:
Current less than 30 (dot never disappeared) Target: 45
app calls for "dry Stabilizer" 4lbs 13oz

Welcome to TFP.
Create Your Signature to help in the future so you do not have to keep stating your equipment setup
Also, read below which has several articles to help with pool test levels and pool chemicals to use
Pool Care Basics Archives - Trouble Free Pool | Trouble Free Pool

Suggest you purchase some Liquid Chlorine to maintain the pool sanitized properly.
Remember that you have a 29,000 gal pool, so your initial chemicals needed to get to the proper levels will be high
The app lets you select the type of chemical - so you can change the 6% to 10% if you can purchase 10% Liquid Chlorine Not sure how you got 0.06 as it should be in 0.2 increments using the K-2006 kit. I use the Effects of Adding to find the following for a 29000 gal pool. If you just call FC zero, then If you have to use 6% then for 29,000 gals to add +3ppm of FC you need to add 1.5 gals of LC. If your LC is 10% then you only need 1 gal. Sometimes the app defaults to the what was last used but you can always change it. Liquid Chlorine is sodium hypochlorite - NaOCl. All Liquid Chlorine is x % of sodium hypochlorite.

It is best to see what your PB is bringing to adjust the pool. You do not want to add stabilizer if he is also bringing stabilizer which could then exceed the value you need to run your SWCG.

Also, on CH, you want to add Calcium Chloride which you can purchase at Home Depot or Walmart or at a pool store.

CYA and chlorine are the important things for now. Hold off on adding any calcium to see how much your pool sheds it. I don't think you'll need any (ever).

Thank you guys so much for your responses. Truly appreciated! I have been a contributer in several other forums helping people for years...Its weird being the newbie on a board! I'm headed to Home Depot now to pick up what I need. Only product Im not sure what to buy is the Dry Stabilizer? Could you guide me on what to buy for that one? Below is what I understand I need from your assistance!

Bleach ( Chlorox or off brand from Home Depot Liquid Chlorine 6% or adjust amount based on % purchased)
Muraitac Acid 31.45-20* 22oz ( I have this already)
Calcium Chloride (Wait for now? I dug into a previous thread and this seems to be a bigger topic)
Cynanuric Acid: dry Stabilizer 4lbs 13oz (ask pool builder 1st before adding but Im not sure what exact product I need)

Thank you guys so much for your responses. Truly appreciated! I have been a contributer in several other forums helping people for years...Its weird being the newbie on a board! I'm headed to Home Depot now to pick up what I need. Only product Im not sure what to buy is the Dry Stabilizer? Could you guide me on what to buy for that one? Below is what I understand I need from your assistance!

Bleach ( Chlorox or off brand from Home Depot Liquid Chlorine 6% or adjust amount based on % purchased)
Muraitac Acid 31.45-20* 22oz ( I have this already)
Calcium Chloride (Wait for now? I dug into a previous thread and this seems to be a bigger topic)
Cynanuric Acid: dry Stabilizer 4lbs 13oz (ask pool builder 1st before adding but Im not sure what exact product I need)
At Home Depot there may be a section for Pool Supplies (there is in Texas) - you should see the following
Liquid Chlorine - comes in either a case of 3 gals or a case of 4 gals - it is normally 10%
Calcium Chloride - they sell in bags of 4lbs or 8lbs - sometimes called Calcium Increaser - no need to buy immediately or if you wish to purchase - then hold off using - it doesn't go bad so just store in a cabinet
Stabilizer - also can be called Stabilizer Increaser - it is dry form

See links

You guys have been so helpful. From reading the beginner guide on this site, the app and your help Im feeling more comfportable and have a much better understanding as to how to manage my new pool. The pool builders said they will get the salt chlorine generator up and running in mid to late may. I was so suprised how much dust is coming off the pool plaster still. I will keep scrubbing. There is quite a bit of staining on the bottom both brown and light discolorations. I chose a granite color thinking it would be darker blue. Unfortunatelly it is very light...too late now! Thanks again, E

Keep on top of the Ph. The new plaster will drive it up. I've had my pool filled for.a month and am adding a small amount of acid every day to keep it in range.

No Clorox products EVER!! Too much hidden copper in the sanitizers, and too many instances of iron staining to new pools when using the Clorox brand salt.

Is your local or fill water "hard"?? Have you tested it? The reason I ask is some places in the country with hard water work to avoid adding too much extraneous calcium lest they over do that in the pool. Evaporation of pool water also takes water, but leaves calcium behind. So we adapt a little knowing those folks calcium will go up on its own.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.