Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My existing setup is a Hayward Superpump with 1.5" fittings on it to a Hayward DE filter with the SP710XR50 multiport valve which also has 1.5" fittings. That goes to my old Teledyne heater which has 2" fittings. So it is adapted up to 2" at right at the heater inlet then continues as 2" out of the heater to feed the valves feeding the spa and pool.
I'm getting a new heater, the Raypak which has 2" in/out just like the old heater. Can I leave the setup as it is? All 1.5" from pump to filter to heater? The issue is that I want to install a 3 way valve and check valve for a bypass so I'll have to bump up to 2" coming out of the filter's multiport valve a little further upstream of the heater to glue in a 3-way. Is this acceptable? So, the new setup would be 1.5" at the pump, 1.5" into the multiport, then coming out of the multiport, adapt up to 2" so I have a spot to install the 3-way valve.
OR
Adapt the outlet of the superpump to be 2" and replace the multiport valve with a 2" version (SP0715XR50) at the filter and run that to the heater with the 3-way valve.

The 1.5 and 2 inch jandy valve will make that really easy :) 1.5 inch in and the bypass and heater side can both be 2 inch...

Well, a lot of these online pool parts suppliers SAY they have the parts in stock but they actually do not. I can't tell you how many I have been through already that told me it was in stock, I ordered the parts, they charge my credit card only to have them call me up later or send an email later saying the parts are backordered till July or October. So I cancel the order and wait for a refund. Apparently everyone in Texas took every pool part on the planet.
So my next question...I see that the check valves whether it be Jandy or Pentair come in CPVC. The 3-way valves come in PVC or CPVC. Can I get away with a a PVC 3-way instead? A local pool store actually has one of those in stock. What is the purpose of a CPVC check valve? All of my other pool plumbing is PVC

CPVC is a better version pf PVC and can handle more chemicals and temp

I just order 10 Jandy valves last night :)

they do not have the 1.5 inch but they do have the 2 inch.. so just get a sch 40 adapter from 1.5 to 2 inch then into this 3 way valve :)

Yes, I agree, I can just get the 2" / 2.5" and use an adapter on one port. That is a good option!
Still questioning the CPVC vs PVC. In one of the links you have provided above it says "....CPVC and PVC pipes and fittings, along with their solvents and bonding agents, should not be used interchangeably"
I have a choice of either material for the 3 way valves but the check valves seem to be all CPVC. How do folks get around this if all of the rest of the pool plumbing is standard PVC???

Yes, I understand it is a better material, but why do they say they cannot be mixed together? They make these CPVC valves for some reason and I don't know of any pools that have 100% CPVC plumbing.
I would be putting CPVC valves on a PVC pipe. That is acceptable? The link I quoted above says otherwise. I just don't want to go ahead, spend the money, glue it all up to find out it is incompatible.

Last edited:
I did not know there were just PVC valves until you mentioned it and I started looking for them.. My CPVC have been in my system for 8 years and they have been used since the 50's with no issue... If you want to use the PVC ones I do not see a problem :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK great, because my Local Leslies has a PVC Pentair #263028 in stock. I can grab that today.
As far as the check valve. I have the Jandy 7305. Its CPVC because that is the only material they come in. What glue/primer should be used to mate that valve in normal PVC pipe? Or should I glue in CPVC threaded adapters on each end of it and then attach those to the existing PVC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.