1.5" to 2" on a Hayward TriStar VSP

Jun 10, 2015
Ottawa, Canada
Hi,

I have a Hayward TriStar VSP with 1.5" pipes from pad to pool with a 2" elbow going to the pump.
Pipe is also 2" from pump to valve between filter and pump and where the backwash hose is connected.
I always have some air in the basket, it can't fill 100%. I also get more air in the basket over time.
I looked at all visible joint and ensure I did not have air leaks.
Could that air be caused by the 1.5" pipes going into a 2" elbow to the pump?
Too much pump for the pipe size?
Or I need to keep looking for leaks? maybe underground...

How close is the elbow to the pump inlet? Just a change in pipe size will not cause air in a system. A 90 too close to the inlet can cause cavitation that looks like a suction leak. That's one reason most pump installation instructions want at least 5 times the diameter of the pipe in straight pipe into the pump.

Before a replumb be sure of no suction leak. Lube lid O ring, be sure union on inlet is tight. May want to lube its O ring. My EcoStar VSP (same pump, different name) has always had some air in it, 12 years and counting. If you look at many of the posts here there are complaints of air in the pump on a VSP, especially at lower speeds.
While it may not be optimal, a little air usually isn't a big problem.

Will go over all rings again with lub before making the plumbing change, but I already did when I started the pool and all seemed fine. I do admit that it seems worse this year than last year, so maybe I missed a section or need new rings. I do run at 50% or less all the time so if this is a known issue on VSP, I might not be able to fully get rid of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.