0 CYA

lplatz

Jun 20, 2019
Royce City, Texas
In process of balancing water for pool opening in a few weeks. In testing my CYA, it tested out below 30. I expect it's at or near zero. The water was pretty clear (saw black dot easily) with test water above the 30 mark on the testing tube. I found it strange that my CYA would have droped to 0 from last fall when I was sitting at 40. My CYA is typically pretty stable from fall to spring. We did get a lot of rain, but not unusual weather from years past. The pool surface did freeze this winter (that's a first). Just curious if this drop in CYA sounds strange to the pool experts in this forum. I've already ordered my stablizer... again just curious. Thank You.
Salt water pool. 20,000 gallons, test kit: Taylor K-2006.

Not really too crazy that the CYA fell below a readable level. Figure if it was 40 last fall, and we can sometimes lose about 5 ppm per month, it would be very low. Plus, we expect a 10-15ppm variance in that test anyways. Either way, it's good you noticed it's low so you can get it back to a proper level for your salt pool per the FC/CYA Levels.

👍 Good to know and Thank You! It's calling for almost 7 lbs of dry stablizer. This always makes me a bit nervous adding this amount of stablizer. Easier to add than to remove if too much is added. What techniques are used for adding dry stablizer to ensure expected target level? I'm targeting 40 ppm. Hayward chart suggests a 60 to 80 ppm range with 80 ppm begin the target. I have learned to trust TFP for my chem level targets.

You may want to take your sample inside and let it warm up a bit before testing, before you add a bunch more CYA.

👍 Good to know and Thank You! It's calling for almost 7 lbs of dry stablizer. This always makes me a bit nervous adding this amount of stablizer. Easier to add than to remove if too much is added. What techniques are used for adding dry stablizer to ensure expected target level? I'm targeting 40 ppm. Hayward chart suggests a 60 to 80 ppm range with 80 ppm begin the target. I have learned to trust TFP for my chem level targets.

If your signature is correct that you are using a SWG, then why is 40 ppm your target since that is below recommended levels?

Update on increasing my CYA to 50 from basically 0. The pool calc called for 134 oz (8lbs 6oz) of dry stablizer. My first dose was 40oz ( 2.5lbs). This was the remainder of a bag left from last year. The reading the next day was still below 30, so I added another 3lbs (48oz). Today's reading was right at 30 (dot barely visible) so I added another 2lbs (32 oz). I would have added a 3rd lb, but I ran out of dry stabilizer. I'll pick up another 5 lbs tomorrow, take my reading and hopefully bring my CYA level to desired 50. I obviously am being too cautious but given we live in the country with a septic system, if I go too high on my CYA, I don't have the option to dump salt water into either my septic or my yard.

If any CYA gets trapped in the filter it can take days to disperse. No harm will come by giving it several days before retesting. If you overshoot it can cause lots of harm with your situation. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If any CYA gets trapped in the filter it can take days to disperse. No harm will come by giving it several days before retesting. If you overshoot it can cause lots of harm with your situation. (y)
Good to know on the filter. I've been running pump 24x7 for the last 4 days. Today's test was a full day and a half since my last dose of stabilizer. I was advised also that cold water could also throw off my reading (pool temp currently at 68). So I'm bringing a sample in this afternoon and will test tomorrow.

Reactions: Newdude
Update on increasing my CYA to 50 from basically 0. The pool calc called for 134 oz (8lbs 6oz) of dry stablizer. My first dose was 40oz ( 2.5lbs). This was the remainder of a bag left from last year. The reading the next day was still below 30, so I added another 3lbs (48oz). Today's reading was right at 30 (dot barely visible) so I added another 2lbs (32 oz). I would have added a 3rd lb, but I ran out of dry stabilizer. I'll pick up another 5 lbs tomorrow, take my reading and hopefully bring my CYA level to desired 50. I obviously am being too cautious but given we live in the country with a septic system, if I go too high on my CYA, I don't have the option to dump salt water into either my septic or my yard.

You should be able to drain to your yard with no issues I do all the time. Never hurts anything.

Thank you for that. I was under the impression that dumping salt water into your yard was a death sentence for your yard. Is it because of the concentration of salt in the water?
It’s not like ocean water - salt level isn’t nearly that high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.