mrjetson707

Sep 7, 2021
Martinez, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently got my test kit but I still like to go to Leslies occasionally to make see if my numbers match up. they do for the most part. Went I went today they said I have 0.5 ppm iron in my pool. I'm not entirely sure I believe it's accurate. Should I get my own iron test? is 0.5 something to be concerned with? my pool isn't discolored at all and I don't see any staining. The past week I've been running my pump less because I just changed the electrical and I'm waiting for my new pump. Maybe that's the cause of the iron? (if there's really even iron in there)

Edit: it also just recently rained. I live in CA and that doesn't happen much, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited:
You're not on a a well are you? While an iron level of 0.5 is above teh limit that tends to cause problems, the fact you aren't seeing any indications of problems around the pool mean either their iron test was flawed (not surprising), or your pH and/or FC are low enough to not aggravate the iron out of solution. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now unless you see staining. If you do, test with a Vitamin C tablet to confirm.

How old is your house? If built before 1975 you could have iron pipes. I bought an iron test kit at Lowe's. It does other tests too but I only needed the iron one...I think it was like $25. I'm on a well though so iron isn't uncommon.

In Martinez, CA, your water source has no iron.

I would ignore the faulty pool store test. Best to just not get them. Creates confusion.

Reactions: Donldson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.