1st Time Slammer!

Jul 25, 2014
Florence, SC
So, I am not a first time pool owner but my pool is new this year. I recently found out that my "buddy" at the pool store was ripping me off! Yeah, I wont go back there unless it is a absolute must! To make a long story short I've had Algae for one month. Pools only been up for 6 weeks. I've done everything that I've been told (yes at the pool store) and as of this past Friday I still had Algae. I stumbled upon TFP and started studying.I figured that I've done everything else and it cant hurt. At this point its a swamp so whats the worse that could happen. I've been testing with my kit (K-2006) and just love doing it myself. When I came in from work on Friday my algae went to a whole new level. I could actually vaccum up alittle of the the green slime and I knew if I didnt do something I would be in trouble. So after testing my CYA was over 100 so I emptied 50% of the pool and got a reading of 70 and decided to start from there. I've been slamming ever since. It was clearer the first day than it ever has been. All the green was gone. It was looking great. Then today when I went out at lunchtime to test and brush I saw some on the bottom. I brought it back up to MA shock level and will keep brushing and hope that it dies soon. Problem is I'm out of CYA reagent and I'm almost out of the clorine one. I really hope they get here tomorrow. So hoping this works. It would be nice to swim. heat index is 102 today! My lastest results:

FC: 42
CC: .5
TA: 70
PH: 7.8
CYA: 75

Welcome to TFP!

Good for you for taking control of your pool!

You don't need to keep FC that high. With CYA at 75, shock level is 29, and there really isn't any need to go above that. I expect FC will come down only slowly, so no need to add more chlorine for a little while.

Be careful about trying to measure PH when FC is that high. The PH test totally won't work. If you adjust PH based on readings with high FC you can get the PH way off. Wait until the FC level is below 15 before trying to measure PH.

Welcome to TFP!

Good for you for taking control of your pool!

You don't need to keep FC that high. With CYA at 75, shock level is 29, and there really isn't any need to go above that. I expect FC will come down only slowly, so no need to add more chlorine for a little while.

Be careful about trying to measure PH when FC is that high. The PH test totally won't work. If you adjust PH based on readings with high FC you can get the PH way off. Wait until the FC level is below 15 before trying to measure PH.

Thanks for the help! I was wondering why the PH was high. I'll leave it alone for now! I was using the PoolMath for FC so I got that number from there but I may have entered something wrong. I am just so over the algae! I will take your advice and wait on adding anything for now. Thats why i"m here right? thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.