Hey! Noob here.

Jun 29, 2007
Oklahoma
We just moved into this house a month ago. Been busy moving and haven't really done much with the pool. We've been very fortunate. It hasn't turned green and the people we bought from took really good care of it. I've never had a pool before so I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions.

thanks for the answers before hand! :-D

Hi and welcome! Congratulations on the new home and pool. You are so lucky that the prior owners have taken care of the pool.

You've really come to the right place to learn how to care for your pool. Pay careful attention to the instructions to use a good test kit and not rely on pool stores to do your testing. I think that's where people make their biggest mistake. If you learn to test and do it regularly, you can go to the head of the class very quickly.

Resist any temptation to throw chems in your pool without know exactly what it's going to do to all the other chemicals in your pool. Pool store/Pool industry marketing can be very seductive in making you think this clarifier, algaecide or whatever potion they are peddling is just what everyone needs.

Thanks Buggsw.

I've ordered the test kit from TFP, hopefully it'll get here soon. Istarted using the strips from Walmart. USELESS!!! The strip would say 0 clroine and the drop kit we found later(from the old owners) said we had 3-4 ppm of chlorine. I threw those strips away fast. Just waiting for the new test kit to get here. There's nothing like wondering what you should be doing to your pool and having no idea. The one problem we've had is not being able to keep any chlorine in the pool. It's rained here almost the last month so that doesn't help but it seems no matter what I add the Clorine levels don't come up much and they won't stay up. We have a Chlorine puck feeder right past the filter in the plumbing and no matter how many pucks it doesn't seem to keep chlorine. I've shocked it a few times and that's the only thing that brings up the chlorine. I'm waiting on my test kit and reading the forums trying to understand what I'm supposed to be doing.