Another Baq conversion

thecrave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Long time reader, first time converter. ;-)

After adding up the $$$ I spent on Baq last year, I decided to make the switch (after I stopped hyperventilating).

I've been reading the forums over and over for the last few weeks, and would appreciate any encouragement or guidance as I go through this process. As others have said -- it can be quite a scary (looking) process, in the middle. My local pool store was telling me they wanted to do Cal-Hypo and let it sit for 2 days.

But after reading success after success, I know TFP has the methodology down, and am going the liquid chlorine route.

I'm nervous because the concepts for a chlorine pool is foreign to me (noob). I started on Baq 3 years ago when we bought the house, and became first time pool owners. I'm anxious to switch after reading other stories and how much data TFP has, in order to help us joe-six-packs out. :) Just an awesome resource!

So here's where I started the season:

Opened the pool and measured 15 ppm of Baq in my pool, 0 Baq Shock. I let it sit for 2 weeks (vacuumed it and filtered it), and it still read 15 ppm. I never shocked it. This was all leftover from closing. That may be an anomaly since I struggled last season getting accurate readings. I went out and bought an expensive test kit for measuring Baq and shock at home and it almost always read 15 ppm no matter what. But whatever, those days are soon over.

Anyway, best I can tell my pool is 13-14,000 gal. It's vinyl and octagonal.

I have my shiny brand new TF-100 kit (very nice, btw)

I stocked up on 3 cases of liquid chlorine (12 bottles at 12.5%)-- the labels say "shock" but list show Sodium Hypochlorite as 12.5%. $3.50/bottle, FWIW.

Before starting, here were my numbers
pH 7.3
TA 80-90

Using the calculator, it determined that I needed 1.7 gal of 12.5% to go from 0 to 15ppm.

I put that in at 12:30 PM today, 6/6.

I took some pictures (ugly brown) but no goo. It only changed colors.

I came back around 2 PM and used the basic test kit to measure chlorine. It matched up with "1" (yikes!?), so I just added another 2.3 gal of Cl 12.5% solution. It turned darker and almost pinkish clouds for a few minutes, and now back to brown/green.

My questions:

1) Did I add enough solution? Is the stuff I bought OK?
2) Am I wasting it by doing this in the daytime, or does it not matter at this early stage?
3) Should I just keep checking and adding every hour?
4) Will I eventually get goo?

Thanks for the site, thanks for the help.

And for all those who love conversion photos, enjoy my 2PM shot, attached.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• P1020316.JPG
    P1020316.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 431
Hello :wave:

I just converted last week, and the results are amazing!

You can add your chlorine up to once every hour in the beginning, keeping you level at 15 ppm(it will make it go a lot faster). I don't think my baquacil levels were quite as high as yoors, I don't know. Didn't bother to test them...lol...I just know the whole fist day, my water was a muddy grean kind of color. I just used liquid bleac and went through about 80 bottles during my 4-5 day conversion. Good luck to you, just have patience because it will work. I'm sure the experts here will chime in soon, they helped me a great deal.

That is exactly what my pool likes like at this very moment! How did you put your picture on? I am computer literate, honest. I just don't know how to get my photos onto this site. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't had any foam or stuff floating on top, just that yucky greenish brown water so far.

OK -- 3:20 PM update.

We've got GOOOO!!! :)

I measured FC using the DPD powder this time, and only 1-2 drops to make the solution clear -- so another 2 gal of 12.5% solution went in.

Goo picture attached.

[horsegal -- I just resize the picture in Microsoft Paint to 20% original, then use the "Upload attachment" feature below (when authoring) to add the file to my post

Attachments

• P1020318.jpg
    P1020318.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 413
EWWWWWWWW! GOOOOOOOOOOO! :mrgreen:

Keep your shock level at 15. Once your pool starts to clear after a few days, then you can shock at night. Don't forget to back wash.

You will be done when:
you lose less than 1 FC over night
your CC's are .5 or less
your water sparkles!

After that, you can change your filter media but not until the 3 criteria above has been met! You have a ways to go though. :goodjob: Good Luck and keep the pics coming!

The goo has largely disappeared now (9 PM).

My FC was 10 ppm, so just needed to top up.

And I backwashed to get PSI back down to 17 from 26.

Should be interesting to see what happens in the AM.

FC was 2.5 in the AM, so another 2 gal of 12.5% solution went in.

Less goo this time, although there seems to be a quantity of it on the bottom in the shallow end.

Do I vacuum this stuff out during the process, or just leave it until the end?

It's been 20 hours and I've used 14 bottles of 12.5% solution so far. (back to the pool store today)

Attachments

• P1020326.JPG
    P1020326.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 349
30 hours after starting...

Quick FC check in the AM showed 12 PPM, so not much loss. Getting close. Looks better (first time I can see bottom of the deep end, albeit green).

Need to vacuum when I get home from work tonight.

Even the dog thinks it might be time to get in!

Attachments

• P1020328.JPG
    P1020328.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 314

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool looks even better this afternoon! I can see the light!!! (pics soon)

Quick question -- can I use my pool robot in 15 ppm chlorinated water? Will the high oxidizer levels "hurt" my robot in any way? It's an iRobot Verro.

Your pics are keeping me motivated. I came home from work at lunch to add two more bottles of bleach and I am beginning to see blue today.

Thank you! Nice pool, I want to dive in with the dog :party:

Moderators, etc. please answer the question above. I butted into the conversation. Sorry :oops:

horsegal said:
Your pics are keeping me motivated. I came home from work at lunch to add two more bottles of bleach and I am beginning to see blue today.

Thank you! Nice pool, I want to dive in with the dog :party:

Moderators, etc. please answer the question above. I butted into the conversation. Sorry :oops:

Thanks horsegal -- keep it up, and let's see some pictures!

Pic below -- it was a LOT clearer when I came home, but once I started vacuuming it, all the "stuff" became agitated and it's a little darker now. It seems my sand isn't filtering out the fine stuff.

It would be nice if I could use my pool robot to get them entirely out of the system. I'll post my question in the Pool Cleaner forum as well.

Anyway, I added some more chlorine tonight after sun-down, and I'll measure again at bedtime and again in the AM to do the overnight FC loss test.

Attachments

• P1020331.JPG
    P1020331.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 248
Looks nice and clear this morning.

Tried the overnight FC test last night, but it was stormy.

I went to bed with 22 PPM (I over shot) and woke up with 10 PPM.

But it rained 1/2 to 3/4" overnight.

So I've topped up again this morning and will just keep checking and filling and try again tonight.

Attachments

• P1020332.JPG
    P1020332.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 222
Looking great! Keep it up, and you will be swimming in no time!

Your filter WILL eventually catch all the stuff... are you backwashing frequently enough?

Sorry, don't know the answer to your "Can the robot safely be in 15+ppmFC" question...

OK, I may take the day off from work tomorrow to swap out the sand if my overnight FC test holds (after looking at the water today, I'm really hoping it does).

It is SUPER crystal clear! I'm amazed by the results! (pic below)

I stopped by the pool store today to buy sand. They only sell #16 Silica Sand, but my filter calls for #20.

Is that a problem?

Attachments

• P1020334.JPG
    P1020334.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 163

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.