Updated again- filter basket question

I'm hoping with the SWG up and running we won't have huge swings to content with, but NY is famous for it's temperamental weather so who knows.
The daily loss is the same both ways, and fluctuates due to our fun weather.

The difference is you use the cell to produce FC on-site to match the loss, instead of lugging and adding LC.
If I'm understanding correctly I'm going to get the pool to where I want it and then try to find a setting for the SWG that maintains that level rather than relying on it to raise the level.
Exactly. Think of cruise control for your car. It's great at small adjustments from 64 mph to 68 mph, but sucks trying to get on the highway from 0 to 65 mph.
If I am experiencing lots of rain, super hot weather, or want to up the FC for a party is it better to do that with LC rather than putting strain on the SWG by turning it up?
The cell doesn't strain. It's either on or off. If you find the FC low and need a *now* boost, then dose LC and the FC spikes right then and there.

If your FC is plenty away from min already, and you know you're having friends over for the weekend, then it's OK to use the cell to raise the FC above where you had it. I go to 100% a day or two before the party (for the usual medium sized get togethers) and also run it at 100% the day after in case of bather residuals. Then revert back to normal.

It's cheaper to use the cell than LC, *if* you have the time/leeway to plan ahead.

I'm hoping with the SWG up and running we won't have huge swings to content with, but NY is famous for it's temperamental weather so who knows.

While I have you, I know the TFP meothod uses much higher FC ranges than are normally recommended. If I'm understanding correctly I'm going to get the pool to where I want it and then try to find a setting for the SWG that maintains that level rather than relying on it to raise the level. If I am experiencing lots of rain, super hot weather, or want to up the FC for a party is it better to do that with LC rather than putting strain on the SWG by turning it up?
As long as your CYA is at TFP ranges for the SWCG the uv burn off will be next to none. Yes, a pool party is something any pool owner needs to keep in mind and dosing prior to the party is alot better then after. As long as you know the CYA level and have the pool capacity correct then via poolmath calculate what you can pour in via LC but make sure the % is what belongs to the product on hand and bring it up to the max/slam level and still be safe. The group that thinks 2 and 3 ppm of FC is perfect are the ones on the lines in Leslie's. TFP members have no reason to be on those lines because they use/understand pool science which is tested and proven.

Here’s a great way to add CYA. For me it only took a couple hours to dissolve with my pump on high.

View attachment 572828
Thanks, this is similar to what I wound up doing, but I actually used a thick piece of old pantyhose and it worked like a charm, I did 2.5 pounds a day and each time took about 6 hours, I went out a brushed around the dust that settled underneath it every couple hours

Reactions: cwswifty
Here’s a great way to add CYA. For me it only took a couple hours to dissolve with my pump on high.

View attachment 572828
This is a beautiful pool by the way, we considered one with an attached Jacuzzi but decided we'd be better off doing the jacuzzi later on separately since we'd mostly want to use that feature in cooler weather when our NY pool would be closed, but I love the look of the attached ones.

Reactions: cwswifty
Back again- still no SWG.

Today's results:
FC-7
PH-7.8
TA-100
CYA-40

weather here is rainy and overcast

It looks to me like it's time to lower the PH, and hopefully TA along with it by adding muriatic acid. Problem is the only brand available I could find was the Klean strip and it dosn't seem to list anywhere what concentration it is and the answers online seem to be all over the place. Do you guys know first off what the roundabout concentration on this stuff is and how much I should be adding, and secondly is there another widely available brand I can look for with a known concentration?

Typically the weak stuff (14% / half strength) is hidden because they want to sell you the watered down stuff for the same price. The MDSDs list 'trade secret 10% to 30% and IMO they'd be bragging if it was on the 30% side. Lol.

Look for buzz words like eco, green or low/no fumes to know it's 14%.

Ace Hardware has 31% for $9.99 most places.

Also remember that any 7 is as ok as the next 7. Let it ride until it's 8+, then aim for a high 7. Your TA will fall on its own as you manage the PH. It's plenty close enough right now to wait it out.

Typically the weak stuff (14% / half strength) is hidden because they want to sell you the watered down stuff for the same price. The MDSDs list 'trade secret 10% to 30% and IMO they'd be bragging if it was on the 30% side. Lol.

Look for buzz words like eco, green or low/no fumes to know it's 14%.

Ace Hardware has 31% for $9.99 most places.

Also remember that any 7 is as ok as the next 7. Let it ride until it's 8+, then aim for a high 7. Your TA will fall on its own as you manage the PH. It's plenty close enough right now to wait it out.
Yeah, I know the commercial concentration of 30% is best but I've checked Lowes and Home Depot near me and neither sell any other brand of MA- no Ace nearby. We have some local hardware chains I can check. Leslie's looks to have it, but it's a hike from where I am.

Is it okay to use Klean strip since i already have some knowing the concentration is low, there don't seem to be any additives in it, or do I need to junk this and take a ride to find the commercial stuff?

It's all totally fine. You just need twice as much. You likely won't need much anyway with a northeast vinyl pool. I adjusted mine once last year, just as a precaution before a party.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's all totally fine. You just need twice as much. You likely won't need much anyway with a northeast vinyl pool. I adjusted mine once last year, just as a precaution before a party.
Thanks. That's interesting to know, we have a lot of trees and I heard that causes the PH to drift up pretty fast,( but heard this from a pool builder so large grain of salt) mine has been rising steadily so I assumed that would continue, but of course it was low after adding CYA so maybe it's just been coming up to normal.

You'll be using twice the amount with the weaker stuff making it twice as expensive for the same outcome.

You'll be using twice the amount with the weaker stuff making it twice as expensive for the same outcome.
I'm still going to use what I already paid for if it's not going to hurt the pool because I have no other use for a gallon of MA (though it's awesome for cleaning stubborn toilet stains)

but heard this from a pool builder so large grain of salt
A 40lb bag 'grain'. 😁 I swear, some of them just like to hear themselves talk. The utter trash that came out of my GCs mouth made me cringe. Like his liquid shock being 99%. 30+ years of owning his own store, then a couple more running somebody elses and he never once read the bottle which said 12.5%

Just an update:
Builder finally got the SWG up and running an hour ago. Looks like he set it to 30%- whatever that means, I have no idea yet what any of the settings are since we won't do the equipment walkthrough until Monday.

Brought FC up to 7 this morning, PH is holding steady at 7.8 so I'll definitely leave that alone until Monday when I'll add more CYA with the sock method to get us up to the low end of the actual SWG range. Heat pump is turned on. I have no idea how long that will take to go from 66 degree to something swimable, but hoping by Sunday afternoon we'll be able to take our first swim.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the week to come as patio construction commences and we get into our first week of actually running all the equipment.

Which size pool pilot cell do you have? We can find out how much fc it makes with that info.
Be sure to deploy your solar cover to help retain the heat you’re making.

Reactions: newdude
I'm absolutely livid. Pool builder came last night and in addition to turning on the salt cell he must have dumped shock in my already balanced pool without bothering to even test it (this after doing nothing at all for 2 weeks other than throw some pucks in the filter baskets) and now my PH has shot up to over 8 and my FC is at 22!

I'm guessing my dreams of finally being able to use the pool after waiting 7 months are shot because according to the charts this pool is now at SLAM level. My CYA has been consistently 40 and now rounding up it's definitely at 50.

Is there any salvaging using the pool for the first time before patio work starts on Monday? If I add CYA today with the sock method is there any chance raising CYA will lower the PH and up the permissible amount of FC.

I was going to put the solar cover on this morning, but I've delayed that because I don't want to put it on with that much FC in there.

dumped shock in my already balanced pool without bothering to even test it
Put him on alert that you are maintaing the water and he is not to touch it.
and now my PH has shot up to over 8 and my FC is at 22!
Ph is invalid at 10+ FC. Wait for the FC to drift down. Ph is a long term issue. You're totally fine in the short term. Take a breath. :)

Swimming is safe to SLAM, which is 20 FC for 50 CYA. Add some CYA or it's probably already drifted down enough. It's also entirely safe for the equipment and solar cover. I'd take high over low, any day of the week.

Leave the cover off so the sun can help lower the FC back to target level. You still lose FC with the cover but it takes longer.

the digital nano plus
Ok so it'll make 1 FC in about 3.5 hours for you. Math that however you like for the same result.

100% for 3.5 hours = 1 FC
50% for 7 hours = 1 FC
25% for 14 hours = 1 FC.

Etc etc.

Once the FC drops, you'll want to start with 2 FC per day (as a local to you guess), and fine tune as needed.

Reactions: Hudsongirl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support