Updated- Newbie working out new ownership headaches

SWG was running this morning and didn't even make it 8 hours since it turned back on and now is flashing a flow error. The pool builder is supposed to come do a walk through for the final payment tomorrow morning so hopefully they will fix it.

Pool filter gauge says it's still near the start not in need of cleaning and filter baskets were emptied last night so beyond that I have no clue why it would have a flow error.

As a fun side note the poor patio builders are trying so hard but the asshat builder poured the concrete surround for the pool crooked so laying pavers straight is a nightmare. These poor guys are working so hard to cover the builder's mistakes.

Skimmer baskets and pump basket should be checked and cleared out as those can reduce flow if full. Have the builder show you this if not ready to tackle it yourself before builder returns.
They're supposed to be here tomorrow morning. Skimmer baskets are cleaned but I don't know how to do the pump basket yet, but that's supposed to be part of what they show us. The pool has been filled and we've been left to care for it with zero instructions for over 3 weeks now, so hopefully she'll actually show up tomorrow because it passed ridiculous a couple weeks ago.

New day, new update-

pool builder finally came for a walkthrough! We are still missing the valve for draining the pool but the other equipment is functional now. Cartridge filter has been cleaned and SWG filter too. I feel more confident that I understand how the system works and can shut things off/clean them out as needed. We put some socks in the filter baskets to help with the pollen and construction debris. SWG is up and running set to 50%, FC fell to with the very hot sunny day yesterday but is up to 5.5 since the SWG was turned back on so I'll let it do its thing rather than adding LC.

Today's test results:

FC- 5.5
PH- 7.5
TA- 110
CH- 200
CYA- 60

Only thing that I'm not sure about is TA- I know I need to add more CYA to get up to 70, but the last time I did that TA was 100 and now it's 110 so adding that didn't seem to lower TA.

When I add the next CYA addition this weekend do I need to get some sort of aeration device going? What do you even use to aerate?

Only thing that I'm not sure about is TA- I know I need to add more CYA to get up to 70, but the last time I did that TA was 100 and now it's 110 so adding that didn't seem to lower TA.
Adding 10 CYA will lower your Ph by .2 and not affect TA.

Managing the Ph slowly brings the TA down and its close enough that you don't need to force it sooner.

Ignore TA altogether and lower Ph when it hits 8+
SWG filter too
This worries me. There is no SWG filter. If they said they cleaned it, they likely filled the SWG with acid and it's a no-no. You will likely never have a scaling issue with low calcium, so the SWG will never need a cleaning.

Adding 10 CYA will lower your Ph by .2 and not affect TA.

Managing the Ph slowly brings the TA down and its close enough that you don't need to force it sooner.

Ignore TA altogether and lower Ph when it hits 8+

This worries me. There is no SWG filter. If they said they cleaned it, they likely filled the SWG with acid and it's a no-no. You will likely never have a scaling issue with low calcium, so the SWG will never need a cleaning.
Oh she cleaned it (whatever it was- not sure if it's technically a filter) in front of us, on the line between the heat pump and the SWG is a tiny metal filter basket type thing to catch debris, and she showed us how to open it to clean it out and close it again.

Definitely no chemicals were added at all- she showed up with all our "starter chemicals" and lengthy explanations about how we'd need to do this and that and how we need to come to the pool store every week with a water sample, but I just nodded along and promptly shoved all the stuff she gave me into storage.

Reactions: newdude
Oh she cleaned it (whatever it was- not sure if it's technically a filter) in front of us, on the line between the heat pump and the SWG is a tiny metal filter basket type thing to catch debris, and she showed us how to open it to clean it out and close it again.

Definitely no chemicals were added at all- she showed up with all our "starter chemicals" and lengthy explanations about how we'd need to do this and that and how we need to come to the pool store every week with a water sample, but I just nodded along and promptly shoved all the stuff she gave me into storage.
OKay I found the diagram- on this it's labeled the "union strainer" and ours was clogged up with gunk

Attachments

• 158893_0_2016824115750.jpg
    158893_0_2016824115750.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully that union strainer rarely needs to be checked since it SHOULD be after your skimmer basket/socks, pump basket and cartridge filter! But add it to the list for troubleshooting low flow errors.
I hope so too! I think there was some Crud in the lines from the pool build in that didn't get cleaned out on startup, Hopefully regular maintenance and the filter basket socks will keep it from being a regular problem.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I hope so too! I think there was some Crud in the lines from the pool build in that didn't get cleaned out on startup, Hopefully regular maintenance and the filter basket socks will keep it from being a regular problem.
You mean skimmer basket socks right?
Don’t put any on the pump basket.

Question- along with the conditioners and other nonsense the pool store gave me for startup I was given some dichlor powdered shock. Since I need to get my CYA up a bit anyway is there any reason not to use it the next time I need to up the FC a bit?

Since I need to get my CYA up a bit anyway is there any reason not to use it the next time I need to up the FC a bit?
When it serves a purpose, it's fine.

We are against its blind repeated use to over correct laziness after the fact.