Shopping for a SWG and maybe Automation (Edit: Ultimately went with Hayward HLBPLUS4W)

So, I ordered this:

AquaRite S3 Omni Salt System 40,000 gallon​

FEATURES​

Features:

• LCD color display for built-in control of chlorine levels, heater and variable-speed pump (single-speed pump control via Smart Relay, HLH485RELAY, sold separately)

• Works only with a genuine S3 Series Hayward salt cell

• Clear TurboCell salt cell for easy inspection

• Operates over a broad range of salt levels,800-8000 ppm

• Pool cover detect capabilities

• Auto voltage select for easier installation

• Easy upgrade path to Omni® controls via AQRS3OMNIKIT, AquaRite S3 Omni Features

•Includes all AquaRite S3 features above

• Full control of virtually any pool or spa feature via the external control panel, OmniLogic® app or voice control devices*

• Valve ports to automatically switch to Spa mode, GVA-24 automatic actuators sold separately

• ColorLogic lighting control with OmniDirect Mode™

• pH and ORP sensing capabilities, probes sold separately

• Expand at any time with easy-to-add accessories from smart relays, pH sensing, WiFi connectivity and more

• Configurable for future upgrades, Control and set schedules for 3x variable-speed pumps, Control 2x heaters, 2 high power relays

• Capable of controlling an acid feed tank, *Voice control devices are not included.

Looks like I can order 2 actuators and control my pool and spa valves with this system and I don't need the more expensive OmniPL.

Let us know how it works for you and what it does.

It is a new product and I have heard little about its capabilities.

Reactions: Palpatine
Darn, I think I jumped the gun... it looks like I'll need to add this to make the actuators work:

Hayward makes this complicated to understand.

I think that is needed to have the pool/spa actuator control.

So, I'm getting a quote for install of the HLBPLUS4W and wanted to know if this is enough space to install the Salt Cell if anybody knows. I'd just assume not have them charge me for a bunch of plumbing if it's unnecessary.

The pipe with the arrows is where I think it needs to be installed and it's about 14.5 inches in length. Think that's enough?

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool Pad w-arrows.jpg
    Pool Pad w-arrows.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 3

15.75 inches needed...

Hayward_T_Cell_Dimensions.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help! I'll keep you posted.
The guy that came out to quote the install was a very cool guy. It's way more involved than I thought. He said that a check valve is required if I want the system to be warrantied. He is a certified Hayward Tech and said that if there is no check valve it's an instant denial if I have an issue. No big deal I'll get the check valve.

Also, the system panel requires 2 GFCI circuit breakers at $100 a pop... had no idea this was needed.

Total out the door cost is going to be just under $4800. Should be installed by this weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I tested my pool water and I already have about 3300 ppm salt from all the chlorine I've used over the past 4 years (never added salt). So I take it I don't need to add any salt before the salt system is installed. Can someone please verify?

Also, my CYA is currently at 20, should I bump it up to 70 today or wait until after the system is installed?

Thanks.

3300 ppm of salt is fine.

CYA of 20 is never good. I would get stabilizer dissolving to get your CYA around 40-50 now then add more when the SWG goes in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palpatine
Just wanted to update this thread. System is fully installed, up and running. Total cost was 5g's when all is said and done Like I said earlier, it's waaay more involved that I thought. A bunch of electrical, I guess depending on your house/situation.

Anyways, the app is simple and awesome. Easy to set schedules, etc. Very user friendly and nice to have everything under one hub.

I bumped my cya to 50 for now and I'm running the system for about 8hrs a day at 50% to see where that lands me on chlorine.

Thanks again for all the advice. Love this forum!

Reactions: Newdude
Btw, the guy that did the install is a certified Hayward, Pentair and I think Jandy warranty representative. Very cool guy and he's actually a TFP'er. I was shocked when I started talking about the forum and he said he's an expert and posts from time to time.

Anyone looking for an install on a salt cell, automation or heater in the West San Fernando Valley or Conejo Valley can pm me for his info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support