Drop In VSP Replacement for a JHPU1.5 (single speed)?

Siglumous

Sep 1, 2022
Alexandria, VA
I’m planning for an eventual replacement of what I believe to be the original ca. 2005 Jandy 1.5HP pump in our pool. Of course I’m looking at VSPs. Some of the units offer dual 110/230v versions, while other have just single voltages. In reading the sales literature on one, there was the statement: “The 230 V voltage ensures efficient performance”. My question is, is 230 more efficient than 110? Since I’m already wired for 230, should I look for 230v pumps only, or can I look for either and be just as “efficient”?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any efficiency gains. But most pool pumps are 220 volt. Especially if you are going to go with a Jandy VSP. Not sure they have that in a 110 volt model.

S,

Stick with 240 volts.. There is no real advantage to 120 volts.

If you are looking for 'efficient', then I suggest that you buy a large (3 HP) VS pump.. I never recommend the smaller (1.5 HP) pumps.

This is because the bigger the pump, the slower you can run and the less it costs and the quieter it is..

I run my 3HP IntelliFlo 24/7, at 1200 RPM, most of the time. This costs me less than $20 bucks a month. And... my pump is 10 years old and the newer ones are even more energy efficient.

If you buy the right tool, you only have to cry once, when you buy it.. When you buy the cheaper tool, you will cry every time you use it.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

My question is, is 230 more efficient than 110?
I mean....not really. I guess you could have a long debate about conductor sizing, cross-sections, internal resistance and heat losses, but its all going to work out to be such a negligible difference in our normal residential applications that its essentially a wash.

As you have 230 already, I'd get a 230 pump, bigger is better with VSP, and then run it at low speed where it is most efficient. I have my 3HP running at about 1800RPM right now, and it's using less than 300W - the old Hayward 1.5HP used to use 1700W+, and barely moved any more water.

Replacing a pool pump in the US pretty much means you will be going with a VS pump and those are almost all 230v except for some RPM limited smaller versions which we usually do not recommend unless there is no other choice.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You'll find conflicting information on this, but that's largely because the answer is different between single/dual speed and VSP pumps.

A single/dual speed pump just runs the AC straight to the motor. In that case having twice the voltage means you need half the amps to get the same amount of power and that leads to less heat loss in the motor. So in those pumps it is more efficient to use 240v.

A VSP takes the AC power coming in and converts it to DC to power the motor. That conversion process is roughly just as efficient at 120v or 240v. As such a dual voltage model shouldn't see much difference regardless of what voltage it is run on.

As you already have 240v to the pool then going with a 240v or dual voltage model is the direction you want to go in. There is no benefit to changing the circuit to 120v.

Some of the VS motors also limit the horsepower if they are run at 110 volts, so add another vote for the 220 model!

You'll find conflicting information on this, but that's largely because the answer is different between single/dual speed and VSP pumps.

A single/dual speed pump just runs the AC straight to the motor. In that case having twice the voltage means you need half the amps to get the same amount of power and that leads to less heat loss in the motor. So in those pumps it is more efficient to use 240v.
In an induction motor, the heat loss is exactly the same and the current in the windings is exactly the same for both voltages. There are two windings (i.e. poles) in a single speed induction motor. For 230v these two windings are fed in series while for 115v, they are fed in parallel like this:

1713793284500.png
So the only place where the current is double in a 115v fed induction motor is in the terminal block and thermal limiter.

The main/high speed winding in a two speed motor is exactly the same as the above. The low speed winding is a 4-pole winding overlayed on top of the high speed winding but it too is fed in series and parallel for the two voltages.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m planning for an eventual replacement of what I believe to be the original ca. 2005 Jandy 1.5HP pump in our pool. Of course I’m looking at VSPs. Some of the units offer dual 110/230v versions, while other have just single voltages. In reading the sales literature on one, there was the statement: “The 230 V voltage ensures efficient performance”. My question is, is 230 more efficient than 110? Since I’m already wired for 230, should I look for 230v pumps only, or can I look for either and be just as “efficient”?

Thanks.
Only the smallest of VSP will run on 120V. You want the largest you can get for the best performance and energy savings.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm planning for a swap-out of my ca. 2005 1.5HP Jandy Stealth pool pump with a VSP. I'm hoping for a plumbing "drop-in" replacement :) Of course if I have to, I'll plumb it in new/correctly. On another thread, it was recommended that a larger size VSP was recommended. It's as smallish pool at 13,500 gals. I do have 240v coming to the pump now, so large and 240v are the recommendations from the other thread...

I took some measurements that you can see in the photos. Height for the pump's output looks to be about ~13 1/4". Distance from pump input to output looks to be about ~14 1/4" (probably standard Jandy Stealth specs). Are there any true VSP drop ins?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1280.jpeg
    IMG_1280.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 6
I used Pentair pumps - I had to put a 1/2” mat under the new VS Pump to line up to the existing inlet pipe. It is hard to find a pump with the exact measurements when going from single speed to VS pump.
I then had to replumb the exit pipe to fit to the filter inlet.

Thanks HermanTX. Any particular Pentair pump that you can recommend? Or are they all a similar size?

I’ve scoured the Jandy product we site descriptions and am surprised they don’t market a drop in replacement. Perhaps because Jandy targets professionals rather than DIY-minded homeowners. Still hoping I can find a drop in replacement if anyone knows of one.

Thanks.

I went with the Pentair 3HP IntelliFlo which the upgrade version now is IntelliFlo 3. It worked with the Jandy Automation which is why I selected it. Not all Pentair pumps work with Jandy Automation.

When going from single speed to VS pump, it is more than just the motor that is changed - The impeller or other dimensions may need to be altered between the 2 models.

Now I do know that some have just swapped out the motor - I think it is V-Green but not sure if it matches to a Jandy pump. Maybe @1poolman1 can provide you better guidance.

Thanks again. Following up on your comment about the pump for a VS having different design/operating characteristics…I saw an article from 2021 on Inyo’s site promoting the swap out of single speed motors with VS motors with specific reference to my pump, a JHPU1.5. Here’s a link to that article: Which Variable Speed Motor Fits My Jandy Pool Pump? - INYOPools.com - DIY Resources). Going this route would mean I wouldn’t have to re-plumb.

Is that approach no longer recommended? I’m guessing they’ve now developed motors/pumps that better operate together rather than just the bolt-one from a few years ago? Should I bite the bullet, get a whole new pump/motor and re-plumb as required?

Thanks again. Following up on your comment about the pump for a VS having different design/operating characteristics…I saw an article from 2021 on Inyo’s site promoting the swap out of single speed motors with VS motors with specific reference to my pump, a JHPU1.5. Here’s a link to that article: Which Variable Speed Motor Fits My Jandy Pool Pump? - INYOPools.com - DIY Resources). Going this route would mean I wouldn’t have to re-plumb.

Is that approach no longer recommended? I’m guessing they’ve now developed motors/pumps that better operate together rather than just the bolt-one from a few years ago? Should I bite the bullet, get a whole new pump/motor and re-plumb as required?
Century Evo EVQ165 with Century Connect. The ECM16CU is no longer made. If your Jandy can control a VSP, it will directly communicate with that motor. If not, it can be used with a relay and its internal programming

Nice. That will allow me to replace the motor, keep the pump, and address my interest in not having to deal with re-plumbing.

Now I’m wondering how wise it would be to keep the 20 year old JHPU Stealth pump. It seems functionally fine now, going back to the earlier comment that VSPs have an improved impeller (and maybe other flow-related design improvements) I’m back to considering a full pump/motor replacement and on the hunt for an easy drop in. Will look first across all Jandy’s products at the dimensions and see if there is one.

Thanks all.

Nice. That will allow me to replace the motor, keep the pump, and address my interest in not having to deal with re-plumbing.

Now I’m wondering how wise it would be to keep the 20 year old JHPU Stealth pump. It seems functionally fine now, going back to the earlier comment that VSPs have an improved impeller (and maybe other flow-related design improvements) I’m back to considering a full pump/motor replacement and on the hunt for an easy drop in. Will look first across all Jandy’s products at the dimensions and see if there is one.

Thanks all.
Try to not overthink this. Yes, flow characteristics in newer pumps have improved and can be measure in a lab, but in real-world practice you won't really notice much.
"Easy drop in" is a misnomer in pool equipment as everything, especially Jandy pumps, changes.
Without knowing the software revision of your Jandy, you might want to stay with a Jandy pump, even if it means some replumbing.
You want something that is compatible with your control system, or you might consider upgrading it and then you can use a Pentair pump as well.
Best option is to get a larger horsepower VSP, at least 2.7THP, and run lower RPM. That gives the best energy savings and water quality if chemicals are kept up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support