Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fourth of July Flag cake

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Fourth of July Flag cake

This may not be outdoor cooking, but considering the day, I thought it was appropriate. This is an easy-peasy cake that my boys loved when they were little and still do. In fact, we had it today!

Basically, it's just strawberry shortcake with the flag on top made out of strawberries and blueberries. Our flag's stars may not be blue, but no one ever mistakes it for anything but our American flag.

Recipe (add your own touch to make it yours):
    1. slice the Family Size frozen SaraLee pound cake into 10 slices: line 9x13" dish with the slices (you can also use the regular pkg of round short cakes found in the fruit section. Or...... bake your own! Martha Stewart, I'm NOT)
    2. spoon over the cakes, chopped strawberries and the blueberries - as much as you like. I let them sit a bit in a little powdered sugar and a couple of tablespoons water - we like our fruit sweet, and the extra juices keep the pound cake from being too dry
    3. mix two 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese with a little bit of sugar and some vanilla: spoon over the fruit to cover
    4. spread the large tub of cool whip (may not need all of it) over the cream cheese mixture
    5. place strawberry halves for the stripes and blueberries for the stars: see photo below.
    Best if chilled over night. Happy 4th of July, everyone! Suz.

Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fourth of July Flag cake

Yum! What do you mean may not need all of it? We don't understand what that means!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yum! What do you mean may not need all of it? We don't understand what that means!
    Ahhhhhhhh, we speak the same language! I was simply trying to include the complete translation!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

If you do the Texas Pool tour, you better show up with one of those or be prepared to make one.

Looks yummy Suz.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Thanks, Patrick! Will do! If it's not around the 4th of July, I'll put 'TFP' on top!
    Suz.