This may not be outdoor cooking, but considering the day, I thought it was appropriate. This is an easy-peasy cake that my boys loved when they were little and still do. In fact, we had it today!
Basically, it's just strawberry shortcake with the flag on top made out of strawberries and blueberries. Our flag's stars may not be blue, but no one ever mistakes it for anything but our American flag.
Recipe (add your own touch to make it yours):
1. slice the Family Size frozen SaraLee pound cake into 10 slices: line 9x13" dish with the slices (you can also use the regular pkg of round short cakes found in the fruit section. Or...... bake your own! Martha Stewart, I'm NOT)
2. spoon over the cakes, chopped strawberries and the blueberries - as much as you like. I let them sit a bit in a little powdered sugar and a couple of tablespoons water - we like our fruit sweet, and the extra juices keep the pound cake from being too dry
3. mix two 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese with a little bit of sugar and some vanilla: spoon over the fruit to cover
4. spread the large tub of cool whip (may not need all of it) over the cream cheese mixture
5. place strawberry halves for the stripes and blueberries for the stars: see photo below.
Best if chilled over night. Happy 4th of July, everyone! Suz.