Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preventing backflow

1. Back To Top    #1

Preventing backflow

I have an electronic water filler. The water supply from the solenoid is connected to the return pipe(after the pump), the inexperience PB installed a regular solenoid, not the anti-siphon type. I plan to replace it with an anti-siphon type, for extra protection against back flow from the pool water, I plan to install an inline check valve, should I install it after or before the solenoid? How about one after and one before? It never hurts to install extra check valves, right?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preventing backflow

The important thing is to have an anti-siphon valve mounted above the maximum water level of the pool somewhere in the sequence, before, after, or part of the solenoid doesn't mater. Check valves and anti-siphon valves are not exactly the same thing, though they will have related effects. Adding the check valves won't hurt, but it is the anti-siphon valve you really need.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Preventing backflow

Thanks for the reply. The output from the solenoid is connected to the pool return pipe via a T-joint, after the pump, so there will be some kind of back pressure from the running pool water. I am worried that the anti-siphon solenoid is not "strong" enough to go against the back pressure, therefore I plan to install a check-valve after the anti-siphon solenoid.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.