Two speed motor recommendation

Looking for some recommendations for a two speed motor that will work with my current wet end (Jandy). I have a 3/4 hp motor right now that is very loud and is an energy hog. I need the higher output for my Polaris vacuum, but mainly looking to save on my electric bill and cut down on the noise. Appreciate the help!

I don't know about that motor, but my take is I'd stay away from a motor that has a timer built in...if the timer breaks, you're without a working motor; standalone intermatic timers are cheap enough that it's not a big deal to keep these items separate.

You have an up rated pump (which is why you have a 3/4 HP motor right now) so a 975 is larger than you need. Also, do you know if you have the large diameter or smaller diameter motor? The 975 is the larger diameter version.

I think the 1.0 HP PHPU is the smaller diameter which means you might want to look at the STS1072RV1. That motor looks like this:

Note how the flange sticks out above the motor housing.

Attachments

• aosmith-ao_2cp_thr_cf_LRG.jpg
    aosmith-ao_2cp_thr_cf_LRG.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 68
I don't know about that motor, but my take is I'd stay away from a motor that has a timer built in...if the timer breaks, you're without a working motor; standalone intermatic timers are cheap enough that it's not a big deal to keep these items separate.

How hard are intermatic timers to install? All the wiring is underground, I just have a box with a switch for the main pump and a switch for the booster pump.

You have an up rated pump (which is why you have a 3/4 HP motor right now) so a 975 is larger than you need. Also, do you know if you have the large diameter or smaller diameter motor? The 975 is the larger diameter version.

I think the 1.0 HP PHPU is the smaller diameter which means you might want to look at the STS1072RV1. That motor looks like this:

Note how the flange sticks out above the motor housing.

I'm not sure? Do you happen to know the diameter of each so I could measure?

It is easier to just go by the look of the motor. The smaller looks something like this:

AO_Smith-STS1072RV1-Single_Phase_Motors_with_Face_Mount-1.jpeg

The larger looks something like this:

35-126-1423_XL__36079__28136__44375__88974.1401847806.168.168.JPG

Note the difference in the mounting flange. The larger motor diameter is beyond the bolts. The smaller motor diameter is inside the bolts. It should be the smaller motor.

If in doubt, post a picture of the motor and mounting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.