Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two speed motor recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Two speed motor recommendation

Looking for some recommendations for a two speed motor that will work with my current wet end (Jandy). I have a 3/4 hp motor right now that is very loud and is an energy hog. I need the higher output for my Polaris vacuum, but mainly looking to save on my electric bill and cut down on the noise. Appreciate the help!
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two speed motor recommendation

Any thoughts on an A.O. Smith B975T? I like the built in timer, I don't currently have a timer..
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know about that motor, but my take is I'd stay away from a motor that has a timer built in...if the timer breaks, you're without a working motor; standalone intermatic timers are cheap enough that it's not a big deal to keep these items separate.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

4. Back To Top    #4

You have an up rated pump (which is why you have a 3/4 HP motor right now) so a 975 is larger than you need. Also, do you know if you have the large diameter or smaller diameter motor? The 975 is the larger diameter version.

I think the 1.0 HP PHPU is the smaller diameter which means you might want to look at the STS1072RV1. That motor looks like this:

Note how the flange sticks out above the motor housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gilbee View Post
    I don't know about that motor, but my take is I'd stay away from a motor that has a timer built in...if the timer breaks, you're without a working motor; standalone intermatic timers are cheap enough that it's not a big deal to keep these items separate.
    How hard are intermatic timers to install? All the wiring is underground, I just have a box with a switch for the main pump and a switch for the booster pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You have an up rated pump (which is why you have a 3/4 HP motor right now) so a 975 is larger than you need. Also, do you know if you have the large diameter or smaller diameter motor? The 975 is the larger diameter version.

I think the 1.0 HP PHPU is the smaller diameter which means you might want to look at the STS1072RV1. That motor looks like this:

Note how the flange sticks out above the motor housing.
    I'm not sure? Do you happen to know the diameter of each so I could measure?

7. Back To Top    #7

It is easier to just go by the look of the motor. The smaller looks something like this:

The larger looks something like this:

Note the difference in the mounting flange. The larger motor diameter is beyond the bolts. The smaller motor diameter is inside the bolts. It should be the smaller motor.

If in doubt, post a picture of the motor and mounting.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah gotcha, thank you I'll take a look

9. Back To Top    #9

Depending on space requirements the timer should just replace the switch.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan View Post
    Depending on space requirements the timer should just replace the switch.
    It's a pretty small area, unless the timer is fairly small I doubt it will fit

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's a photo of my motor and where it attaches: