Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick review: New Intex Saltwater Generator system

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick review: New Intex Saltwater Generator system

I finally gave up on my 1-year old Intex SWG that just wasn't generating chlorine any more and bought a new one.
    The new one doesn't have the copper generator. This is great since most people just disconnected it anyway.
    Instead it has a flow measurement device where the copper electrode used to be.
    Instead of the copper, it has a new ECO (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) electrode that is supposed to break down organic compounds. This sounds like a neat enhancement. I'll be interested to see if it does anything for my pool.

So far I love it. My chlorine is finally staying stabilized with about 4-5 hour run time just like the old one used to do (when it worked).
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick review: New Intex Saltwater Generator system

Is this ECO something we should disconnect or is recommended?
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quick review: New Intex Saltwater Generator system

ECO has been discussed in other threads. It's nothing more than the catalytic decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. The hope is that the ECO generator will create hydroxyl radicals (OH•) that are good at destroying some types of organic compounds. How efficient the cell is at creating hydroxyl's and how good they are at destroying organic waste in pool water has yet to be determined. ECO's are deployed in some water treatment facilities as Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOP's) but waste water treatment and residential pools are different beasts.

You could always try running it for a while and then disconnecting it to see if there's any measurable changes in your water tests.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

They have a two year warranty. Intex would have sent you a brand new one.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the response
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart