Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM update- odd results not sure where to go from here?

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM update- odd results not sure where to go from here?

Okay.....this is what I have done and the results I have so far...

1. Double chekded with Leslie's that water contained no iron ,copper, or manganese. I know they may not be accurate but I have no other way of testing for metals. No metals found. Confirmed CYA at 70 and pH at 7.6

2. Inital testing wiht FAS-DPD; FC 7ppm, CC=.25ppm. Used phenol red drop test to confirm pH at 7.6. Added 96oz of dry acid to target pH of 7.2. Waited an hour and retested- pH was 7.2.

3. Caculated my Shock level for SWG to be 28ppm, based on CYA of 70. I caluclated using Pool Math that I needed 1,119oz of 8.25% bleach (121 oz). At 2 pm I added 9.5 bottles of the bleach. Readings have been as follows:

3pm- FC=48pmm ( overshot the amount of maybe not yet mixed well?)- CC=0.5ppm
    5:30pm- FC-40ppm, CC=0.5ppm
    8pm: FC=31, CC=.5ppm
    9:30am- FC=30, CC=0.5ppm
    2:30pm- FC=27ppm, CC=.25ppm

I am not losing chlorine as fast as I thought I would. I have attached some pictures of what the pool looks like now. My steps now have a nice brown color to them leading me to believe that this might be a metal issue. I just dont understand why the tests are not showing any metals. What do I do now guys????? Do I continue to SLAM; alhtough I think I could pass the OCLT tonight. I am so furstrated that I want to cry and I just want to swim. I feel defeated and like I just want to put the cover on this thing.

I have ordered the K-2006 kit for future use and I also went ahead and ordered 2 liters of Metal out and a culator (sp?) patch thingy for the skimmer. I did this because everything I have read indicated that the only reason my steps would turn that color would be metal. HELP!

Attached Images Attached Images
    20 X 40 in-ground, vinyl liner, 36K gallons, SWG, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM update- odd results not sure where to go from here?

I think you need to continue the SLAM and worry about metals after it is finished. There is no way that the SLAM could be complete tomorrow.

You are done when:
    CC is 0.5 or lower
    You pass an OCLT (ie*overnight FC loss test*shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
    And the water is clear.

that water is not clear.

28 is correct shock level for FC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SLAM update- odd results not sure where to go from here?

Thanks....I'll keep slamming. Tested at 8pm and was at 25FC. I added 160oz of bleach to bring it back up to 28ppm. Test again in the morning