Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clever thing to go on the coping corner?

1. Back To Top    #1

clever thing to go on the coping corner?

am fixing up the old pool
    started with water and that is now fine, thanks for the help
    so on to the surround, putting loose slates back down
    later work on the interior of the pool

see pic and red arrow, attached

the corner of the vertical and horizontal slates is very sharp, hard, hostile; also hard to grab to launch out of the pool
    is there any device that can be applied to the corner to render it friendly and grab-able?

thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: clever thing to go on the coping corner?

With slate you may be able to get a honing stone and take the razor sharp edge off??

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

3. Back To Top    #3

How?? How do you ever leave with that view?????????? WOWSER!

Okay, Kim, deep breath and answer their question.................LOL

A grinder? and carefully smooth the edges down? You may make a mess but it will be short term.

Now back to looking at your view!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Frankly I'd vote against a grinder -- to high a chance of screwing something up -- the slate is not that thick.. Let me put it this way I would screw it up with a grinder.

My suggestion -- not cheap is diamond backed sand paper -- 100 and 300 grit to round off the edge .

Its not cheap: Z Gem Pads | Diamond Hand Pad But it does what you want

Wow the view !!!!! Kimcats and I are coming over tomorrow and drink fruity alcoholic drinks, look at the view and "help" you with this task.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you all
    I could try to "sandpaper" or "grind" it down, and might do that but...

I was hoping for something that could be grabbed by little (or old) hands

I was thinking of something like
    round object that could be "glued" "mortared" "screwed" on
    like maybe 2" round rubber

or maybe chip out the mortar between the vertical and horizontal and mortar a cylinder / rod in the crack

or ???

could also start over with new coping but not ready to go all that way as yet

view is nice, even when cloudy, maybe even more fun when there are whitecaps on the Sound, then scary
    easy for a geezer to sit there and forget Iran, Greece, church in North Carolina, etc
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

I worry that anything you put to be grabbed would cause a trip hazard coming into the pool as it would be raised a little.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I'm sorry about your dilemma, but is that your real view? They say life isn't fair, but seriously!!! You sure you didn't photo shop that???? Ok, ok, I'll take you at your word. My son lives near Portland, and I don't think he will ever live again in Texas. He loves the views!

I'm a newbie on here - my pool isn't even finished. And I may not clearly understand what you're needing, but would the tile hand holds be a possible option? They sell those at the major pool tile places at stores and online. They are a 6x6" waterline tiles with what looks like a half cup (split vertically) on the face of the tile. Your fingers reach in and your palm grabs the cup for a hand hold - there's probably a better way to describe it. I can find a link for you if you like. But... that may not be an option - not sure if one of the existing waterline pieces could be removed.

Best of luck. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

trip hazard?
    good thought, probably best not do that, trip > hit coping > knock teeth out (or worse)

waterline tiles with hand cups?
    gonna explore that further

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm just here for the booze and the view....
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm just here for the booze and the view....
    me too
    oh
    and to add the bleach and acid every day

11. Back To Top    #11

idea has emerged

found a local person who can make custom tiles
    could make a right angle tile, 4" on one side and 6" on the other
    then cut back the current horizontal slates 4" and remove the vertical slates
    then lay in/on the custom tiles

would solve two problems
    1) the sharp angle would be gone (now rounded)
    2) the vertical sections would not fall off

and
    could add hand holds every third tile or so

12. Back To Top    #12

How in the world did you find him?? That is such a neat idea!

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Clever! Isn't it great when you get just the right solution! So happy for you, good luck!
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    How in the world did you find him?? That is such a neat idea!

Kim
    him is a her

how did I find her?

person x said call y, y said call z, z said call a, a said call b, b said "we could do this"

she is a funky tile "artist"; does not think like an engineer
    in fact does not think at all; just free associates from here to there

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by engrav View Post
    in fact does not think at all; just free associates from here to there
    LOL, she is what I like to call and out of the box thinker, she sees the world differently than most, and her thought process is not linear, like an engineer. Probably comes across a bit flakey to most.
    18' to 29' wide by 37' long, 22K gal, Lagoon Free form, vinyl lined, in ground Pool with SWG, Hayward Cartridge 175 Filter, 3/4 HP Tri-Star, Gas fired 300 BTU heater

16. Back To Top    #16

I would LOVE to see some of her work! You know what else you could do? Maybe have the hand hold ones a different color so they stand out a little.

Kim