Spa water level keeps dropping when pump is OFF

llomll

Jul 4, 2015
anaheim, ca
Hi all,

I am new to this forums, came across when I was doing a google search to figure out what might be wrong with my pool/spa as it is leaking water somewhere.

I am not a pool expert at all so please forgive me if I some of my questions do not make sense.

Lately I have been noticing that the pool requires lots of water to maintain it's level. So to make sure if it's a leak or just an evaporation; I performed a bucket test with duration of 24 hours with pump off. I noticed that the water level in the pool had dropped more than the water level in the bucket; therefore I am starting to suspect some sort of a leak somewhere.

Further observation tells me that the water level in the spa is dropping a lot compared to the pool [pump is off] so I am thinking may be problem is somewhere on the spa side? I then started walking around the pool and spa and equipment area but can not find any leaks or water.

However I did see two broken tiles inside the spa so I am not sure if water is dripping thru there and leaking inside the wall structure, pictures are attached.

I am also attaching the pictures of the pool equipment as I figured it may help with troubleshooting.

Thanks for reading and all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20150704_121900.jpg
    IMG_20150704_121900.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20150704_121909.jpg
    IMG_20150704_121909.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20150704_124013.jpg
    IMG_20150704_124013.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48
The spa might just be draining back into the pool. I would check the pool light first if you have one. Noemally the conduit just fills with water but if the conduit breaks the water can leak into the ground. I had that problem last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, the spa is elevated. I am not sure about overflow drain. How does the overflow drain look like?

Thanks

An overflow drain would look like a small grating on the side of your pool near the water line. When it rains, this allows the excess water to flow somewhere else so your pool doesn't overflow. If you ever have to drain your pool after a heavy rain (if you ever get one!), then you probably don't have an overflow drain.

I was only asking, because I could imagine that you have a bad check valve in your elevated spa. Check valves serve to keep water from flowing with gravity, so your elevated spa will remain full. If your spa is draining out into your pool, and the extra water is draining out the overflow, then this could explain your symptoms. A leaky check valve is a very simple (easy and cheap) repair, unless the valve is buried somewhere.

Hi all,
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

(1) To check the light conduit - Do I have to drain out the water? Or, can I do it while the light is submerged in the water?

(2) I walked around the equipment and I can not find the overflow drain. The only thing I can see are two Jandy valves and one semi-transparent coupling coming out of the pump motor. When I look inside that semi-transparent device; there is flapper and it is not closed all the way down. It sits at an angle when the pump is off. Picture attached. I am going to check with my pool service company and ask them if they know there is an overflow drain or not.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 79
You do not need to drain the water. Turn the light power off at the breaker. Remove the light and take some butyl tape and push it in where the power cord goes into the light niche in the pool wall. Very simple procedure.

I would probably be more concerned about that check valve you showed a picture of. If it is not closed all the way down, water is draining from your hot tub to pool for sure. You should get a jandy or Pentair check valve to replace since they are serviceable and do not require replumbing when in need of repair.

An overflow line would be part of the tile line in your pool, and not at your equipment.

Although the check valve should be replaced and might be the reason the spa is lower, he stated that he is losing pool water, which would indicate a leak somewhere. The light conduit is a possibility of a leak.
You can google butyl tape. I got some from amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.