High cya puzzle

I am a new member. Have been reading everything so that I can be in complete control. I practically have studied your information, but since I am 65 I had to go over things like 100 times. I was so excited to get starte. I ordered the Taylor 2006c and my heart sank when my cya reading wa 220. Of course I know WHY!!! Those chlorbrite granules from Leslie's pool supply ,along with the shock...granular...that I have been using have messed up my pool. I wanted to SLAM it and switch to chlorox bleach, but my hands are now tied with such a high cya. I am so upset!!. What I don't understand is HOW is my water so clear with a fc of between 2-4...or 5. I can't figure it out. I have been shocking it about 1 x per week with the 1 pound granules, and I add about 4 or 5 ounces of the chlorbrite every night. I never have a problem maintaining ph or alk, so how is this possible . According to the pool school my fc should be over 20. How am I getting away with this?.. My readings are as follows: fc - 6 am. 2.5. By 6 pm it drops down to 2.0....sometimes 1.5. Cc is .5 At 6 am which drops to .5 or 1.0 at 6 pm. I then add about 4 or 5 oz of the chlorbrite in the morning which brings it up to 4 ppm, and begin the same thing again. I have been doing this for 4 seasons. Ph is 7.5 , alk is 100. I have a Vinyl liner so I am not concerned about calcium. I took a reading once and it was 220. There are times when after a party with a lot of kids my water does turm real cloudy at the end of the day, and at times I do see a green tinge at corners, but, after the shock, it becomes real clear again.

My pool season will be over in about 8 weeks when the kids go back to school. Should I keep on doing the same and then do a half drain TWICE before closing in Sept, and then1/2 drain again before opening in May??? Please advice me. I trust that you will give me sound advice. I looked into the cya reducer but you do not think that it really works so I am not even trying it.

I would immediately drain it halfway ONCE if it is feasable, refill, use ONLY liquid bleach from here on out and maintain MINIMUM FC of 10. Your target I would take to 15. Welcome to the forum.

I would just say you're lucky.

Not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer. Not everyone with insufficient free chlorine/high CYA gets algae.

Bring it down a bit at a time. Your average depth is probably close to 60". Replacing 6" of water at a time will lower CYA 10% at a time. You can drain and refill 6" in a matter of hours, during nonswim time, and the pool will never be out of commission.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will reduce the volume 6 inches at a time. For now, I can live with this. 10 % reduction is a beginning which makes perfect sense and it is a START. I wanted to pretend that I did not have a problem by ignoring the whole thing for 2 months. You made me realize that even a little bit at a time is better than doing absolutely NOTHING.

It is very comforting to know that there is someone with expert advice that I can turn to. Someone who doesn't know me, yet is willing to take the time to help me! What you do is WONDERFUL. I greatly appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.