FYE - Pool Store Test

Jul 26, 2014
Annapolis, MD
For your entertainment...

It's overcast, some rain, and had our July 4th party yesterday so, what to do... let's go to the pool store and get that new float for the Polaris. Oh look, they offer $5 off if you get their "free" water test...

Theirs:
FC: 5
CH: 140
CYA: 45
TA: 80
pH: 8
TDS: 900
Phosphates: 300

Recommend:

1 lb 11oz dry acid or 20 oz muriatic acid
30 lbs Hardness Plus
23 oz PHOSfree

Yesterday we had as many as 7 adults and 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) in the pool for 5 hours. Boosted the FC night before and right after party.

My TF-100 tests:

FC:
on eve of 7/2: 4.5 (this is normal), boosted to 7
morning of party, 7/3: 7
after party: 4.5, boosted to 7
this morning: 7

CC: 0
pH: 7.8 (before party was 7.5, I'll add acid today or tomorrow)
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 30

So, I think I'll pass on the pool store recommendations, haha and just put on the new float that cost $2 after the coupon. :)

Oh, and of course a pic just taken... like I said, it's overcast so I couldn't capture the usual TFP sparkle right now:

Did you price out the items that you "didn't buy". Just wondering how much $ the TFP method saved you today.

It makes me feel sad for the folks that just plunk down cash and walk away with the recommended stuff.

Good question...

Dry Acid, 2lb container: 10.99
Hardness Plus, 45 lb container: 65.99 ($1.47/lb)
PHOSfree, 1 liter: 24.99

Total Not Spent: $101.97

More than covers the cost of the TF-100!!

Muriatic Acid costs me $4.99/qt at ACE - haven't used 2 qts yet this season

Calcium Hardness - paid $7.99 for 9 lb at Ollies earlier this season since I expect I'll need to add some due to backwashing & excess water due to rain before the end of the season ($0.89/lb). With the winter we had there was no ice melt to be found even during the winter.

Oh, they asked if I had recently "shocked" since my FC was so high. I just said yes ;-) The report also recommended chlorine reducer but the employee said not to buy that since I had just shocked the pool and that's why the FC was high.

Last year I discovered TFP a day or so after Leslies sold me on buying about $40 of Phosfree to take care of my 1000ppm phosphate "problem". Then I discovered TFP. The Phosfree is still sitting in my garage, unopened. Guess I should just throw it away.

Anyway, thanks for posting the "Not Spent" amount. Very good testimonial for TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.