Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wall Whale Brush

1. Back To Top    #1

Wall Whale Brush

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to buy a Wall Whale Brush?
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wall Whale Brush

The deal at Leslie's web site is fairly good right now, $19.99 with free shipping.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That is a pretty good deal. Thanks!!
    Steve
    Atlanta, GA

Inground Vinyl, 30,000 gallon, 20x40 Lagoon, Pentair Single Speed 1-1/2 hp Superflow, Pentair SD 80 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ Booster pump, Pentair Easytouch.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a good deal!

Anyone also use it to brush the bottom of the pool and if so, is it easier?

Just wondering.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The Wall Whale rocks, pure and simple! It makes brushing the pool MUCH easier as you no longer have to apply pressure to hold the brush against the surface. The "wing" does that part of the work for you. It's one of the best things we've ever bought for our pool.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

I got one about a month ago and love it. It has different settings depending on how much resistance you want. I do all of my pool, including the bottom, on the center setting and it works fine. As per the instructions, if you have too much resistance doing the bottom you can move to a lower setting, but I haven't found that to be necessary. It is definitely a little harder to push on the bottom that down the sides, but I don't find it to be a problem.
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

7. Back To Top    #7

Another recommendation. Got mine last summer (I think I caught it 50% off at Leslie's) and it works great!
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

8. Back To Top    #8

After reading all the glowing reviews of the wall whale here and on other sites, I got one as well (from Leslies with a 25% off deal and free shipping). It certainly lives up to it's name. I find it works exceptionally well on the walls, but not as well on the bottom. I know that this is true of any brush, but I find the fin a little hard to maneuver on the bottom, but manageable.

I am in the process of doing 2x/day brushing on my new DiamondBrite, so I'm getting a lot of use out of the guy. I was a little surprised at the quality of the actual brush itself. Everyone raves about the product, but I find the actual brush to be medium quality. I would be willing to pay a little more for a higher quality brush and maybe a little heavier duty latching system. It seems to me like it may give out rather quickly.

I'll be sure to post back after a few more weeks of heavy usage and report how it's holding up.

Overall, highly recommended. It's a low cost solution that really does deliver on it's promise.

http://theaustindude.blogspot.com/
    Our pool- (Completed March 2009)
    20k gallons, 38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2x1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 w/ Hayward booster pump, Pentair Prowler 920, DIY Stenner Chlorinator

9. Back To Top    #9

el duderino, try adjusting the angle of the "fin". Mine was set pretty steep when I first bought it, which made it very aggressive at pushing the brush against the pool. The pseudo-triangular block on the back of the fin can be moved further away from the brush to lessen the angle. That makes it far easier to use on the bottom. Gently squeeze the sides and it will release from the two holes that it's attached to. Move it away from the brush a few notches. Test if it's working better and if not, rinse and repeat.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3
    el duderino, try adjusting the angle of the "fin". Mine was set pretty steep when I first bought it, which made it very aggressive at pushing the brush against the pool. The pseudo-triangular block on the back of the fin can be moved further away from the brush to lessen the angle. That makes it far easier to use on the bottom. Gently squeeze the sides and it will release from the two holes that it's attached to. Move it away from the brush a few notches. Test if it's working better and if not, rinse and repeat.

I've messed with the fin quite a bit. It definitely helps! However, I think the problem is really just inherent with all brushes. It's hard to keep it down (weight) and the angle always seems a little off.

They need to come up with a brush that is weighted and has a swivel, so it's always parallel with the surface being brushed.

As you can tell, I spend a lot of time thinking about these things as I brush

http://theaustindude.blogspot.com/
    Our pool- (Completed March 2009)
    20k gallons, 38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 2x1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps, Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 w/ Hayward booster pump, Pentair Prowler 920, DIY Stenner Chlorinator

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a WallWhale brush (plastic/nylon bristles) and like it a lot but I need to use a stainless steel brush to get best results on my older plaster (with some scaling). A while back I saw a device that attaches to any brush that gives similar assistance that the fin on the WW gives.

I finally stumbled up on it. Brush Booster And I ordered it yesterday. Here's the link at InTheSwim. Only cost 9.99 clearance price, down from 19.99. I ordered enough other things to get free shipping so not sure what shipping would be for the one item.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipm...Brush-Booster/

Sure hope it works well as I'm starting AA treatment tonight and hoping to get some of the scale to loosen during process.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    That is a good deal!

Anyone also use it to brush the bottom of the pool and if so, is it easier?

Just wondering.
    I got my Wall Whale brush for free! It's awesome!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

My Brush Booster came in yesterday. I'll give it a tryout today if I can squeeze out a few minutes between our two games, Vikings then Cowboys. We delay games so please don't post any scores, info, etc.

BB doesn't have any adjustment like on the WW. It actually attaches to the pole using a plastic extension. BTW... the manager at Pool Store, the one who is so supportive of my going BBB, is very conservative and cautious in many ways. He was in the field for years. When I mentioned using the BB with SS brush he became alarmed. He got a WW out and explained to me how to keep it on the very low resistance setting so as not to damage finish, even using the plastic brush WW. He said the most resistance setting he would recommend would be the middle setting. Just reporting what he said. I can't confirm or deny what he said.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine