FC 3.4
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 120
    CH 140
    CYA 0

I added bleach, soda ash and some Stabilizer

Two questions:

1) did I screw up my pool by adding soda ash and calcium chloride at the same time? Can I recover from this?

2) I have been adding some stabilizer gradually (some in socks and some in the skimmer). I realize that it takes a week to register, how do I make sure I don't over shoot?

20' x 50' AG gunite pool (no idea on gallons) built a long time ago. DE Filter w/Hayward Pump. Well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water just went from crystal clear to milky

Hello! Your biggest concern right now (based on the readings) is that without any CYA, your FC is getting used-up by the sun really fast. Good you added some. We use the Poolmath calculator (link below) to figure out how much of a product to add based on your pool size. Until the CYA builds, keep your FC up to about 3-5. It probably went milky because you now have algae setting-in and will need to SLAM (link below). But you can't SLAM until your CYA is at least 30. So for now, it's just best to keep it from getting any worse by adding liquid bleach each day/evening to hold a temporary FC level just to keep things from getting worse.

Once your CYA is close to 30, start the SLAM procedure immediately. Let us know if you have any more questions. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Question: are these readings before or after additions?

If these are before, you didn't need the Soda Ash and your pH is too high which, combined with Calcium Chloride, can make it precipitate and get cloudy. Let things mix well and recheck pH and add acid.

If these are after, just wait. It should clear up with time. Open a can of

As far as CYA, what did you target and how much did you add? Without knowing the pool volume, there's really no way to know if you overshot or undershot or hit it right on the nose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Use the tool at the bottom of Poolmath, Effects of adding chemicals, to calculate what the expected rise is for the amount of CYA you added. Enter the number of gallons at the top first.

Pool School - PoolMath

Also, check this out, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi. Thank you. I have working against these levels.

Plaster with SWG
    FC 3-5 (See chart) I am 3.4
    pH 7.6-7.8 I am 7.6
    TA 60-80 I am 120
    CH 300-400 I am 140
    CYA 70-80 I have no idea but it is sub 30 on my test and Leslie's says it is 0

These readings were before I added:

37oz bleach
    16oz ash
    100oz stabilizer

I have added chemicals previously.

I added about 188 oz by volume of stabilizer in socks while I filled the pool. I had a problem with a valve that led me to run a hose for 8 hours while the valve diverted water into my back yard so some of that was lost. I have since added 228oz into the skimmers (100 of which I just added).

I also added bleach, soda ash and some calcium chloride previously. I have been careful about how much I added (and used tests and the pool math calculator) but I haven't kept great records.

20' x 50' AG gunite pool (no idea on gallons) built a long time ago. DE Filter w/Hayward Pump. Well water.

6. Back To Top    #6

Last thing I think my volume is 44k gallons. (43.4k actually).

7. Back To Top    #7

My advice is to wait a few hours with the pump on and let everything mix well and then recheck pH. Most likely it will be too high again, and you'll need to add acid to lower it, effectively cancelling out the soda ash. Your TA was already above the recommendation, so you shouldn't have added more via the soda ash.

The problem is micromanaging the water. You were at 7.6 pH. That's within the recommended 7.6>7.8 and the high TA would guarantee it would rise on its own fairly quickly. The soda ash was completely unnecessary. Your CYA amounts shouldn't push you too high, but that will just have to wait a few days to get tested.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you very much.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok.

Today some CYA showed up!

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 270
    CYA 40
    Salt 2700

10. Back To Top    #10

I am also beginning to think that the milky water may be the result of DE flowing into the pool....

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok.

FC 1.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 110
    CH 275
    CYA 45
    Salt 3000

I will definitely add 154 oz of 8.5% bleach.

Should I add the soda ash to increase the pH or will the high TA drive it up on its own?

I am inclined to wait until Saturday to add more stabilizer and give the stabilizer I added last week /last weekend work.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi fmbiv, if you look at the pool school recommended pool chemicals article, it says borax will raise ph without raising TA. Keep adding bleach daily to get up to 6ppm and don't let it fall under 4ppm now that your cya is 45, which is in range, don't add more stabilizer
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Fmbiv View Post
    Ok.

FC 1.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 110
    CH 275
    CYA 45
    Salt 3000

I will definitely add 154 oz of 8.5% bleach.

Should I add the soda ash to increase the pH or will the high TA drive it up on its own?

I am inclined to wait until Saturday to add more stabilizer and give the stabilizer I added last week /last weekend work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your pH is already in range. The TA will push it up. If you raise it now, you'll just need to add acid sooner to get it back down.

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok. I keep seeing 7.6-7.8 for plaster SWG pools.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Fmbiv View Post
    Ok. I keep seeing 7.6-7.8 for plaster SWG pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, you do. And you also see TA 60-80. How do you plan to lower yours? I'm guessing you'll add acid to lower pH to 7.0>7.2... which is exactly where you're at already. Why add a chemical to raise pH and then add another to lower it? That's pool-store madness. pH will rise all by itself and then you can lower it again with acid and repeat the process until TA is down.

16. Back To Top    #16

Awesome. Thank you.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here is the process for lowering TA, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach