Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Cleaning

Six year old sand filter (Hayward s244t). This season I've been getting lots of very small tree particles in the pool. I have very large oak trees on 2 sides of my pool. The particles build to the point that my vacuum filter clogs and does not move (Polaris pressure side 165). I cleaned the sand filter yesterday by gently moving water hose thru sand (low pressure on hose) then let the filter fill and drain from the top for 10 minutes> I'm still getting the particles in the vacuum and pool. I did not drain the filter from the the bottom drain before starting cleaning. Do I need to drain first before cleaning or just clean for a second time since the filter has never been cleaned ?? THANKS !!
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Sand Filter Cleaning

No need to drain it first, but I seriously doubt you got it anywhere near clean in that length of time. Been there, done that at 5 year mark myself. Tookl forever to float all the gunk out.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

kingston springs, tn

Replace the sand if it is that bad. It takes a little effort but is really not that hard to do.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Might want to think about Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach