Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool newbie from central Jersey

1. Back To Top    #1

Piscataway, NJ

Pool newbie from central Jersey

I just bought a "new" house with a 10+ years old pool.
    I redid the lining and am in the process of reviving it.
    I have not figured out the gallon size of my pool yet.
    But all other info should be in my signature. Looking forward
    to having fun with my pool and folks here.
    Central Jersey, in-ground, vinyl lining
    Size 15ft by 30ft oval, depth 3ft - 6ft, volume ~15,000 gal
    Pentair Superflo pump and Tagelus sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Pool newbie from central Jersey

Hello and welcome! We're happy you joined us. Before you get too far, PLEASE make sure you order your own test kit. You have a choice of the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, but get one of these right away and don't settle for anything else. Take some time to read our Pool School page or the vital inks you see in my signature below. We are here to help. Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

Definitely second the advice on getting a proper test kit. You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
    1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    2. Chlorine CYA Chart
    3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
    4. Recommended Levels
    5. Pool Math
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4
    North central TX (Tarrant County)

Howdy and hope you hang around to learn about pool stuff at TFP. The Pool Math link is a very good tool and had an estimator for pool volume at the bottom. Do the Pool School the reading is easy and gives you insight to the process. Good luck.
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach