Hey guys, Brand new member and pool newbie. We live in Rock central in Texas LOL, so I bought the kids a small above ground pool for the summer. Just got it set up and almost full now. I am starting to look at the chemicals and levels needed. Did a quick test with a strip that came in a kit we bought. PH was 7.5 but we are on well water and the Alk is 250, actually probably higher. I read to use Muriatic Acid which I happen to have some for my masonry company. But with the high levels I have I was worried about having to add too much to the water. I did a quick calculation and to get down to around 110 I would have to add about 5 quarts. The pool is 6000 gallons. Its 16ft round and 4ft deep.
The kit I bought had a bottle for PH, a bottle for chlorine and a bag of Shock. I didn't use the PH since it was ok, I added 2 oz for Chlorine and will test it to fine tune it. Not real sure what the Shock is used for other than as a type of cleaner.
So your help is greatly appreciated.