Hard freeze warning in South Florida... Heat Pump question.

Nov 13, 2007
South Florida
Hello. There is a hard freeze warning for the Palm Beach, Florida area tonight. Temperatures are expected to drop below 32F. I have a AquaCal heat pump and I noted that it has a winterizing plug allowing you to drain the water. I read the manual and they suggest that light freeze can be controlled by just circulating the water through the pump but they suggest draining the system in any long term or hard freeze conditions. Any thoughts or true to life experiences would be appreciated. Personally I rather not touch any plumbing. I seem to have gremlins that cause leaks and such whenever I tinker with plumbing.
Thanks guys / gals.

If you are looking at just one night in the 20s, then all you need to do is be sure to leave the pump running the entire time and you should be fine. If you are looking at a week in the 20s or a night in the teens you might want to do the entire winterizing thing.

I live in the Tampa Bay area (north of Palm Beach). I have a pool controller that turns the pump on when the air temp gets below 34 F. It also opens the valve to the solar heater. I have had no problem with this system. For most of Florida, this freeze protection should be more than enough. However if you live in northern Florida, you might occasionaly have a problem.

Keep in mind that the heat pump won't run (at least mine won't) when it's under, I think, 50 degrees...but if you keep your pool pump on and circulate water through your system, I don't think one or two nights is going to cause you any trouble...just be sure to run out and drain your filter, heat pump, etc. if you lose power during the freeze.
I was going to keep my pool open all winter (some people do, even in VA), but now I'm glad I didn't...one COLD winter, with temps in the teens again tonight, and we've already lost power once!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.