Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd Salt test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Merrimac, MA

Odd Salt test Results

Hi Guys,

I'm using the Taylor salt test kit. On the 24th of June I tested and it was at 3,000 I tested again on the 29th and got the same result so I added a 40lb. bag which according to Poolmath would have brought me to ~3,200 ppm which is where I wanted to be. Today I tested and I'm at 2,800. I'm not sure how this could have happened. We had a little bit of rain, but I don't think it's anything that could have impacted the numbers by even close to that much. Is there anything else that could cause a 'loss of salt' aside from water replacement? My test kit is about a year old if that matters.

Also, just to be sure I'm doing it right:

10ml pool water
    one drop yellow
    drop of brown until water turns 'salmon color'
    multiply by 200

26,700 Gal., 18x36 IG pool with Vinyl. 1HP Hayward Super Pump; Hayward DE3620 Filter; Hayward SAS; TFT-100 test kit; Dolphin Atlantis Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Odd Salt test Results

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of that test. But, salt tests are inherently inaccurate. Most are +/- 400ppm. They are really only used as a sanity check to make sure your SWG is not way off, like 800-1000 ppm. One of the signs of a failing SWG is giving false low salt warnings. Most SWGs work fine with a wide range of salt, from about 2800 up to over 4000, even 4500 ppm. So, if the SWG is happy and making chlorine then we are all happy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach