East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello: My spa heater is only heating water to 101-102 degrees max. The RayPak heater thinks water is 104 and that is the max setting. I see two options: (1) calibrate the heater to cut off at higher max temperature (106-107) and rely on Jandy pool controls to keep Spa no hotter than 104; or (2) replace the temperature sensor on the heater, which probably has scale and corrosion after 4 years of use. I see the Raypack 009577F Temperature Sensor is pretty available and cheap, but how easy is this part to change. Are there good instructions anywhere? I could not find them on web (except as part of PC board change)

So is your Jandy automation still calling for heat when the heater cuts off? Have you used a know good thermometer to check the actual water temps and not rely on the heater or the automation system to tell you what it is?

You could set the heater up to override that 104 but I would first want to make sure the automation is not the issue and that the spa water is 101-102 like the heater says.

If your pool chemicals are keep correctly, then there should be any scale build up on the temp sensor.

I checked the spa temperature with a separate thermometer and it matched the 101 reading on the Jandy, despite fact that spa heater read 104. I think the spa chemistry was poorly maintained by my prior pool company for 1-2 years. That is why I am suspicious of scale on heater sensor (there was lots of scale on mt salt electrodes)

OK then yes remove the sensor and take a look at it. If gunked up, you might be able to clean it with a small batch of muratic acid and water. Just be careful mixing the two. It's the same solution you would use for cleaning a salt cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.