pH @ 7.2 & Alkalinity @ 129... Pool Party on July 4th... What to do?

Hi Folks... long time reader (3rd Summer w/ a pool), first time poster.

We are having a pool party tomorrow... July 4th (and the cat's birthday). Excepting 15-20+ people plus a few kids (1-3 year olds).

My pool chemistry readings are good, except for the alkalinity is a bit high... 129ppm.

My pool chemistry app suggests that I add 3 quarts of of 15.7% - 10 degree Muriatic Acid. I could do this tonight, but fear it will knock my pH down too low by morning (currently sitting at 7.2). I only have about 1/3 gallon of Crown Muriatic Acid left (31.45% - 20 degree) around the house... and too late tonight to run out for more.

The ultimate question is "Which route to I go...?"

A. Do nothing. Leave it as-is so the pH stays intact. (Assuming here that Alkalinity @ 129ppm wont be harmful, especially to the kids).

B. Add the remaining 1/3 gallon of Crown Muriatic Acid left (31.45% - 20 degree) to lower the Alkalinity; and count on 10-20 people splashing around tomorrow to raise the by through aeration.

C. Something better that I am not considering.

LMK your thoughts. Much appreciated! Kyle

Leave it as-is. There is nothing harmful to people about a high alkalinity, as long as your pH is in the proper range, which it is. The only problem with high alkalinity is it will cause your pH to rise faster, especially with aeration of the water from 15-20 people (plus a few kids) in the pool. :)

Besides, a TA in the 120ppm range is what pool stores call perfect, so they can sell more "pH Down". :)

Awesome! Thanks for the peace of mind :)

My current test kit is a LaMotte ColorQ Pool 7 Plus. I picked it up at the end of my first summer... and it has taught me a lot; along with the app on my phone that I plug the numbers into and spits back out recommended steps.

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.