Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH @ 7.2 & Alkalinity @ 129... Pool Party on July 4th... What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

pH @ 7.2 & Alkalinity @ 129... Pool Party on July 4th... What to do?

Hi Folks... long time reader (3rd Summer w/ a pool), first time poster.

We are having a pool party tomorrow... July 4th (and the cat's birthday). Excepting 15-20+ people plus a few kids (1-3 year olds).

My pool chemistry readings are good, except for the alkalinity is a bit high... 129ppm.

My pool chemistry app suggests that I add 3 quarts of of 15.7% - 10 degree Muriatic Acid. I could do this tonight, but fear it will knock my pH down too low by morning (currently sitting at 7.2). I only have about 1/3 gallon of Crown Muriatic Acid left (31.45% - 20 degree) around the house... and too late tonight to run out for more.

The ultimate question is "Which route to I go...?"

A. Do nothing. Leave it as-is so the pH stays intact. (Assuming here that Alkalinity @ 129ppm wont be harmful, especially to the kids).

B. Add the remaining 1/3 gallon of Crown Muriatic Acid left (31.45% - 20 degree) to lower the Alkalinity; and count on 10-20 people splashing around tomorrow to raise the by through aeration.

C. Something better that I am not considering.

LMK your thoughts. Much appreciated! Kyle

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH @ 7.2 & Alkalinity @ 129... Pool Party on July 4th... What to do?

Leave it as-is. There is nothing harmful to people about a high alkalinity, as long as your pH is in the proper range, which it is. The only problem with high alkalinity is it will cause your pH to rise faster, especially with aeration of the water from 15-20 people (plus a few kids) in the pool.

Besides, a TA in the 120ppm range is what pool stores call perfect, so they can sell more "pH Down".
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

3. Back To Top    #3

long term you know you need a good test kit
    short term, ta within reason has no affect on swimmer comfort or health
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome! Thanks for the peace of mind

My current test kit is a LaMotte ColorQ Pool 7 Plus. I picked it up at the end of my first summer... and it has taught me a lot; along with the app on my phone that I plug the numbers into and spits back out recommended steps.

Cheers!

5. Back To Top    #5

Agree with all the others, leave it be.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Leave pH & TA alone, boost FC before and after the party. Don't panic if the water loses some clarity. Bleach and time will fix it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!