Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dishwashing liquid / dish soap. Squirt line across pool. Debris clusters at edges.

1. Back To Top    #1

Dishwashing liquid / dish soap. Squirt line across pool. Debris clusters at edges.

Has anyone tried squirting a line of dishwashing liquid / dish soap across a pool?

I heard the debris will cluster at the edges.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dishwashing liquid / dish soap. Squirt line across pool. Debris clusters at edges

There is some effect like you are describing when certain chemicals form a layer on the water's surface. However, you shouldn't put soap in the pool. Even if you have a chemical that wouldn't be a problem, the effect is temporary and not worthwhile.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Dishwashing liquid / dish soap. Squirt line across pool. Debris clusters at edges

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    the effect is temporary and not worthwhile.
    Yes it is temporary, but will it help a person to remove floating debris?

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's a round pool, get a whirlpool going and everything will end up in the middle where you can bag it with a leaf rake or skimmer.

We don't advocate putting anything in the pool if it isn't necessary. And if what you're after is an oily sheen, try a scumball.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    And if what you're after is an oily sheen, try a scumball.
    No, not an oily sheen.

I heard that because the debris supposedly clusters at the edges, time spent using a leaf rake or skimmer will be less.

6. Back To Top    #6

In my opinion, it's not worthwhile.

7. Back To Top    #7

My skimmers work, so there is nothing collecting in my pool. Maybe if your pump was shot, you were waiting for a new one, you just mowed and blew grass all over your pool; then that may be a time to pull out the soap. It breaks the water tension causing everything to fall back from where it was put in. Then you could skim just around the edges. Under normal circumstances it's unnecessary.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100